I

Alex

Alex sat in his room quietly tapping away at his phone. He wasn't texting anyone important or special, just the same person he spoke to everyday, his online friend, George. George wasn't really entertaining or exciting and at times he was just flat out boring, but somehow that was the only person he liked being around.

Currently, George was on the phone ranting about how he was bored and wanted to go and see other people and make more friends. Although Alex felt slightly offended he continued not to speak. He just listened intently to his friend's rants.

After a few minutes longer George spoke directly toward Alex, "Well, I'm tired."

Alex hadn't heard because he had his mind on other things. Other things like friends that actually made him happy. That wanted to hear how his day went. A friend that actually wanted to not just talk about themselves, but listen to him too.

He felt he just wasn't getting that with George, but he was the only person he had, so he put up with it.
"Goodnight," Alex mutters.

George hangs up with not even so much as a second glance.

Once again Alex was back to his dejecting solitude. He laid back in his bed and plugged his headphones into his computer. He put the music at full blast and played it. Letting all his worries and doubts slip away.

Just as he was drifting asleep he gets a call from an unknown number.

"Hello?" Alex says slowly.

"Tommy, I was just calling to let you know that the plan is set?" a voice speaks from the other side in a hushed tone. The voice was deep and gave off the sound of another country's accent completely. "Manburg is going up."

"Is this some kind of joke?" Alex asks angrily. "My name's not Tommy and what's this about Manburg?"

Alex had no idea what that was. He had never even heard of Manburg.

"Stop, kidding around," says the previous. "Everyone knows about how Schlatt is running that stupid nation. His presidency style is just shit I'll say. He's controlling and manipulative and a drunk and someone needs to take him down."

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Alex yells. "Who the fuck are you?"

"Call me Wilbur," the voice says. "Since you act like you don't know what's going on, have you ever heard of L'manburg?"

Alex thought for a minute, "No."

"Fucking idiot," Wilbur mumbles.

"Well, have you heard of Schlatt or Dream or anyone?!" Wilbur asks.

"No,"

"Then what the fuck do you know?!" Wilbur asks.

"Nothing about whatever fantasy you're living in?"

"It's not a fantasy," Wilbur mumbles angrily. I could hear the frown cross his face. "It's real and we're in trying times. You are playing around. Now who are you?"

"Who are you?" Alex asks. "How'd you even get my number you freak?"

"First, I'm not a freak," Alex could hear the fury in his voice. "I am the former president of a great nation. A nation I plan to get back for my people if it's the last thing I do. I may have gotten a salmon pregnant and had a fox for a son, but I'm far from a freak."

"Are you hearing yourself right now!" Alex yells. "Do you not think you sound like an idiot?"

"Fuck off!" Wilbur yells back. "If you know so much about being a freak and a weirdo you must be one yourself."

Alex takes the time to think this over. He had no idea why he did it, but he did, "Well, at least I don't sound like a dumbass."

Wilbur laughs at his win proudly, "This dumbass that you speak of is probably the smartest man you'll ever talk to, whoever you are?"

"I don't think so," Alex smirks. "You sound far from it."

"Now that I think about it you sound quite familiar," Wilbur speaks cautiously. "Do I know you?"

"I'd hope not," Alex says smugly.

Wilbur smirks and persists, "You sound a bit like someone I know."

"And you sound like an idiot and I'm tired, so goodbye," Alex pulls the phone away.

"Quackity?" The voice says in shock.

Alex looks at the phone in fear. He quickly pulls it back to his ear, "Who are you! How do you know my name!"

Although his name was Alex, he'd been nicknamed Quackity by George. No one else had known him by that name and even if they did they always called him Alex.

"Don't play dumb," Wilbur smirks. "You're helping that little idiot take over my country."

"I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about?"

"Sure you don't Quackster," Wilbur frowns on the other side of the phone. "Don't come crawling back when Schlatt doesn't do his part and your nation falls during this battle. Either way...you...will...lose."

The line disconnects and Alex is left in complete silence. What the fuck was that?

{Created: August 6, 2022, at 2:10 pm}

[Published: July 10, 2023, at 8:18 pm]

Word Count: 849 words