Avidez

I glanced between the metal bars of the cage. The chain constricted on my right ankle made a dangling sound as I limped towards the edge. Screams and yells from outside filled the room through the slits of the door. I shivered. Something terrifying is happening outside. Nervously, I tried to move away from the edge, but the weight of the heavy loops dragged me down. The metal crinoline I'm wearing under the stiff red velvet gown jarred, scraping the skin of my hips as I stumble on my knees and elbows. Before I could even stand up, the door slammed open, and there standing was a winged man.

The man, with a glowing ring floating above his head had round pieces of metal wrapped around his upper arms and shins. Those things, and even his dark brown hair, glimmered under the light. He walked towards me while his eyes examine me. His stared felt like it penetrates through me. I tried to act normal but my body flinched, cased by the severe intimidation. The man raised his right hand, which was holding an enormous sword, and hacked the metal cage vigorously. I closed my eyes and covered my ears with both hands. The whole structure shook and made an annoying sound. When I opened my eyes, the man was already in front of me.  Out of instinct, I tried to stand up and get ready to flee. But he held my left arm to keep me from escaping. My arm is not even enough to fill his hand. From up close, I noticed the firm, supple muscles lining his body. It didn’t even move an inch with all my wriggling.  My eyes widened as he dropped his sword. I was preparing for a hard blow but it didn’t come. He just brushed my hair back. I was almost feeling a kind of relief but then he grabbed my sleeve and ripped it off. The bright red fabric tears in front of my eyes as I bounce from the force. He too didn’t  forgive the gleaming gems and stones that decorated my hair and neck and pulled it off of me. I wanted to cry out and run away, but fear overcame me as he tore everything. He stopped when there was no more to remove. Sudden realization and chill crept over me as I think hard of what to do, but fear consumed me. I tried to cover my bare body with my shaking hands. The wounds and scratches from earlier showed, and it was only then I noticed the bleeding.

“You’re hurt.” The man muttered, his voice was low and quiet, almost a whisper. I looked at him. That is the first time I heard him talk.

He then suddenly raised his right hand. Again, I shut my eyes closed. I waited and expected for the worst. But all I felt are his fingers brushing on my cheek. Upon realizing was happening, my chest hurt and felt tight like it’s about to explode. I couldn’t hold it in, and trying just made me whimper. I know I look really look pitiful, but I don’t know what to do. My shaking body also gave up. I dropped on my knees, crying and shivering. It feels so strange. The hand that violently ruined everything earlier is now wiping the tears off of my face.

The man knelt down. I felt his fingers slid on the feathers of my left wing. And without a word, he lifted from the floor and walked out of the room. I saw the maids lying on the floor as we passed on the hall. All of them were unconscious. My heat raced.

What happened to them? Where is he taking me? What’s going to happen to me? As these questions flooded my head, our pace quickly hastened. His steps become rapid stomps. I was bouncing from the impact, my head bumping to the hard shell-like armour attached on both of his shoulders. He held me tighter, his right arm pressing me further to his chest and his left on my knees. Sunlight streamed on us the moment we went through the door. Before reaching the stairs that leads to the large garden of the mansion, he took a huge leap, and jumped off. My heart lurched as I felt the both of us rise in the air. His large wings unfolded, casting a large shadow on the ground. With one massive flap, we elevated, slowly and gracefully. It is unbelievable. This airy, fluffy, comfortable feeling.. So this is what it feels to fly.

He loosened his hold on me, just enough for me to look around. I glanced on my right. The buildings, trees, people, and everything else seemed like it’s shrinking as we go higher. The wind smothered me, and made me remember that I am naked.  My face flushed. It feels so shameful and awkward. Being carried by a man I don’t know, stark naked.

Doesn’t he care? I slightly moved my arms, thinking of how I could cover myself. He seemed to notice that I’m feeling uncomfortable, for he directed his eyes on me. And it only made me feel more tense.

“Does your wounds hurt? Don’t worry, we’re close.”

I looked at him, and it was only then I realized that his eyes are grey. What a strange color, filled with mystery when swallowed by darkness, but yet so bright and transparent when under the light.

It’s cold up here, but I can feel his warmth radiating towards me. Hearing only the pounding of his wings, I thought, why not let my guard down at least once? I know myself that I have no idea who he is and what’s the purpose of him taking someone like me. But somehow, his warm hold makes me feel safe. This indescribable relief that I’ve never felt before makes me feel that I’m not alone.

I closed my eyes. Right this second, I’ll stop thinking of anything else. All those unpleasant memories.. all those chains that shackled me.. Everything. At least just this one time, I will discard it all, think about this moment and this feeling, and cherish it until the moment it will last. I will think only of this, as I ascend together with him.