Dreams and Nightmares

The smell of savory, salty, juicy steaks made my stomach growl as I laughed at my father's jokes of my parent's past. I couldn't believe that they actually met at a bar. I could also not believe that I was wearing a dress at a fancifully lavish restaurant like this. Even my little brother who was in love with plaid wore a suit. The waiters were dressed in suits and ties and the plates looked like they were made from gold. This is officially my parents' fanciest anniversary ever, topped with steak and crab. Everything seemed like a dream, a wonderful dream in my little island paradise.

            When we finished eating we kept on talking and one of the waiters had to ask us to leave. As we drove home my family sang along to our favorite Diana Ross song. We drove alongside a drunk driver, his car swerving to each edge of his lane. My dad drove faster to make sure that we didn't get hit. The singing stopped as an ear piercing noise sang through the air and the window behind me crumbled into bits. The world seemed to move in slow motion, as if it wanted me remember this moment forever. I whipped my head around in time to catch a glimpse of what had happened behind me. The scruffy drunk driver had hit the back right of the car. My head was spinning and tossing I reached for my brother's hand; the car was spinning in the direction of the road barrier. This didn't seem real. I can't seem real. This feels like a nightmare I couldn't wake up from. My head jerked to the left and I saw that the car had crashed. My eyes faded to black. not knowing when I would wake up or if I would ever wake up. It was over, or so I thought.