chapter one: woes of a writer

It was dead silent in the world.

Contrariwise, on a rooftop of a ten story apartment building, if you strain your ears, you might pick up on the clickity-clackety echoes of a laptop's keyboard being pressed on rapidly by nimble fingers. There you can find a young lady in her early twenties lying on her stomach on a sleeping bag. Dorothy was typing her thoughts away on her laptop, because there was no one else to talk to. If you look around, the area is void of other people. However, if you peer down the streets from the rooftop parapet, it's easy for the eye to catch a couple individuals walking sluggishly, bumping to inanimate objects here and there. Oh, she would have loved to hear their thoughts. If only they had no primal urge to take a nasty bite off her flesh every time she encounters such an individual.

August 2033 - It was during this month that a biochemical research facility reported that the virus they were researching spread among their scientists. The virus became the root of a vast majority of researchers turning into flesh-eating corpses that have been reanimated. Zombies, for lack of better term. If a person that's been infected with the contagious virus has bitten you, there are various stages to undergo before you turn into a mindless zombie. 

The first stage is the spread of the virus through the first bite. A zombie's saliva is the main carrier of the virus. Other bodily fluids would do the job as well, but zombies mainly attack by chomping on you. 

The typing paused. The writer adjusted her glasses on her nose bridge.

Is human skin really that thin to be able to tear off easily?

A rattle from her right made her flinch. She grabbed the cleave that laid on the floor beside her and stood up, searching for the source of the sound. It came from the direction of shack that she built next to the door that leads inside the building. She tiptoed to the shack and took a peak inside. It turns out, her pet rabbit has knocked off a couple gardening tools from their respective shelves. 

"Phew," she kneeled down and scooped her long-eared companion from the ground. "For a quiet animal, you sure make a lot of noise."

She returned to her spot but sat down with crossed legs instead, keeping her pet between her thighs. She brushed her palm over its head as she thought of what to type next. She was currently typing a new entry for her blog on how to survive the zombie apocalypse. 

It has been seven months since the the beginning of the apocalypse. It started with multiple accidents and incidents in one town until it spread across the province, then it spread throughout the region, until her whole country was thrown into chaos.  The neighboring countries were kind enough to send essential supplies to the country, and they're generous as long as the personnel who delivered the goods are to never set foot in the mainland, lest they risk getting infected. The supplies are packed in a large box and are lowered using a pulley attached to the aircraft that stored the supplies. The box contains drinkable water, food, medicinal supplies, warm clothes, batteries, and the others are for outdoor camping. 

The suppliers were also generous enough to include at least one firearm in each box. It wasn't much at first, but a new batch of goods are delivered every two weeks, which meant anyone can stock the magazines from the handguns in each box. It was reckless, but it was essential. 

Second, once the virus entered your body, it will spread through your circulatory system. In my opinion, you're already a hopeless case. If you're with your family, friend, or a companion and you want to get them to a safe place before you turn into a zombie, try to not panic. Accept your fate-

"Nah, too harsh," sighed Dorothy. She hit the backspace key with her right ring finger to replace the previous sentence.

Second, once the virus entered your body, it will spread through your circulatory system. In my opinion, you're already a hopeless case. If you're with your family, friend, or a companion and you want to get them to a safe place before you turn into a zombie, try to not panic. Reassure them that you'll be alright. That's right. Just straight up lie to their faces.