Erza's childhood

Chapter one: The unthinkable past

Year x775:

A petite red-headed girl was running throughout the darkness with a handful of flowers.

She was panting heavily whilst making her way to a small village, well known as Rosemary.

She quickly opened the door of her small house, closing it softly to avoid making a noise. The girl was still panting trying to ease her labored breathing. She made her way to the kitchen quietly finding the very object that will perfect her carefully chosen flowers. It was a beautiful vase that would hold the equally beautiful flowers. She set them down on the table, placing the flowers into the vase, then sighing in relief for to finally have the task finished.

The young girl relaxed herself until she suddenly saw a figure heading towards her. She was stiff until she saw who was coming up to her and the gift. It was her mother.

"What do you think you're doing at this time of night, Erza?"

Her mother eyed her with curiosity while at the same time disappointed at her daughter to be awake at this time.

"I'm sorry mother, I won't do it again. I just thought it would be nice to give you some flowers."

Erza gave her mother a bright smile, hoping she would understand.

"Aren't they pretty?"

She looked away from her mother, trying not to show the sadness in her expression. Her mother raised her chin to get her attention, and chuckled.

"Erza, they're beautiful, but you shouldn't go out there alone like that, it's not safe."

Erza gave her mother a scared expression.

"Yes, mother I understand." Her voice wavering a little bit as she fought back the tears that threatened to appear.

Erza was now trembling slightly, scared by what could possibly be out there. Her mother reached out, hugging her to reassure her. "Erza you know that I wont let you get hurt. I will protect you, I promise."

Erza smiled and gave a huge yawn while her eyes were continuously trying to close, begging for rest.

"Get to bed my daughter, it's late. I love you very much. Now I'll see you in the morning."

Her mother hugged her again and kissed her forehead.

"Okay mother, I love you too, night!"

Erza headed to her room, she closed the door and threw herself on the makeshift bed. The young girl closed her eyes falling into a deep sleep. One that would last until the morning came.

Erza woke up the next day, hearing a familiar voice calling out to her. She stretched out her body - popping some joints and got out of the makeshift bed lazily.

"Erza it's about time you get moving, I thought we could get some errands done, what you think?!"

"Alright, I'm coming mother!!"

Erza made her way to the living room, spotting her mother waiting impatiently.

"What took you, was something lurking in your room, Erza?" Her mother chuckled, seeing Erza irritated with her mother's questioning.

"No, I just woke up mother, I'm tired." Erza tried to keep her eyes open by rubbing them and staying on her feet.

"I see, there's no need to have an attitude with me Erza, you're the that was staying up late." She chuckled ad right then Erza knew her mother was just teasing her.

Erza stuck her tongue out teasing her mother back, they both chuckled, it was her mother's way to get Erza distracted at times when needed, but to be honest her mother also loved those moments with Erza, little did she know that was soon to end.