v. The Zoo

Aug. 28, 2236.

Item # 23: Go to the zoo when nobody's there.

      "What's next on the list?" Bruno asks me, from the back seat of Lexie's car.

      I unfold the list and let my eyes glide down to number twenty-three. I laugh a little, which makes the wound in my abdomen hurt. "You're gonna think this is childish… You all will."

     "What do you mean?" Ibtihaj asks. "It can't be that bad."

    "Yeah, I agree," says Lexie.

    I inhale. "I thought it would be nice to go to the zoo when nobody else was there…"

     "Wait, what?" Lexie begins. "I could've sworn you said you wanted to go to the zoo during the goddamn zombie apocalypse…" She drums her fingers on the steering wheel.

     "I did," I tell her.

     "Really, Bradley? The zoo?" Lexie questions.

    "We went to Skyzone," I remind her, wryly.

     "Touche." Lexie clicks her tongue against the roof of her mouth. "The zoo it is."

      ─┉─¡! • !¡─┉─

      When we do make it to the zoo, there's almost nothing there.

     "This place is fucking empty…," Bruno begins, twirling in circles as he gazes around.

     "Well maybe because it's a zombie apocalypse. I doubt people would want to come here," Ibtihaj comments.

       "I know that, jackass," Bruno hisses, stopping twirling. "I mean the animals… Where are they all? African exhibit? Empty. Asian exhibit? Empty too. Hell, there's been nothing in the Australian outback-"

     I see motion in one of the exhibits. "Hold that thought, Bruno."

     "What are you doing?" Bruno asks me, concerned and wide eyed.

     "Trust me," is all I tell him. I step over the three foot high glass around the enclosure. I move toward the rock where I saw the motion. Right in front of me is a small armadillo. "Hi, little guy… Are you the only one here?"

    I kneel down, putting my hand out for him. "It's okay. I won't hurt you."

     He approaches and sniffs my hand.

     I look around.

     There's no other animals in sight.

      "It must get lonely being here all alone," I comment to the animal. "How about you come with us?" I then reach forward to grab the armadillo, to which he squirmed. "It's okay. I won't hurt you. I promise," I reassure him as I stand and step over the glass coming to stand with Bruno, Lexie, and Ibtihaj.

    Lexie sighs.

   "Welcome to the group," Ibtihaj tells the armadillo.

    Bruno asks me, "What are we gonna call him?"

    I laugh a little. "Joseph."