viii. Party

Oct. 31, 2236.
Item # 69: Party on the roof.

    We camped out in a store for a little while instead of sleeping in that cramped car of Lexie's.

    Maxwell, Bruno, Joseph, and I get almost no sleep at all because of the sounds of Lexie and Ibtihaj horsing around seems to echo.

    I slam my pillow over my face and hope it will suffocate me.

     When morning rolls around and we eat breakfast, Ibtihaj and Bruno are laughing.

     "What's so funny?" Lexie asks them.

     "It's the number we're on," Bruno explains.

     Ibtihaj laughs, "Sixty-nine."

     Lexie rolls her eyes, while still smiling.

     Maxwell nearly chokes on his drink. He sets the cup down. "Sixty-nine, you said?"

      I nod. "Yeah. We're on number sixty-nine now."

     "What is number sixty-nine?" Maxwell asks me with a dark, raised eyebrow.

      I smile at him. "We party."

     ─┉─¡! • !¡─┉─

      When it's almost sunset, we finish bringing up the party equipment to the roof.

      And when the last lights of day are washed away by the night, I say, "It's party time."

      We rig up a few speakers before playing meme songs and dubstep.

      Bruno insisted on being the DJ.

      When I set a LED light down, my hand accidentally brushes against Maxwell's.

    "Sorry," Maxwell sheepishly apologizes while sinking down in his leather jacket.

     "Don't be," I call after him.

     Hours later when the music starts playing, I lightly bop my head back and forth to it.

     Maxwell approaches me. He awkwardly taps his foot against the ground. "So, um, Bradley?"

      "Yeah?" I respond.

     "Do you want to uh dance with me?" He asks.

     I smile, grabbing his hand and making my way to our makeshift dance floor.

      And as the music blares loudly and the lights flash, it's almost like the apocalypse isn't happening—-it's almost like we're dumb, careless teenagers again.