Remorse

Remorse was a short story I wrote for a writing contest for school. The word limit was 1,500. So please excuse the implements of my story because of the length. Thank you for taking your time to read my story!

________________________________________________________________

I  slowly  descended  down  the  steps,  glancing  at  my  several  beloved  ones  with  full  shimmering  eyes.  Amazed  by  my  new  appearance,  they stared,  showering  me  with  a  new bright  confidence.  With  sparkling  gloss  veiling  my  pale  pink  lips,  I  parted  them  to  utter  a  slight  squeal  of  joy.  My  layered  cerulean  dress  danced  at  my  heels  as  I  glided  over  towards  the  living  room,  where  my  best  friend,  Cecilia,  sat  elegantly  on  the  white  couch  with  her  legs  crossed.  Her  fair  skin  radiated  even  more  so  with  her  raven  hair  resting  over  her  slender  shoulders,  now  lined  with  dark  black  pearls.

Cecilia  rose  up  from  her  seat  and  came  over  to  hold  me  in  a  tight  embrace.  I  felt  her  delicate  hands  smooth  out  my  short  auburn  hair,  stroking  it  with  such  care,  almost  resembling  a  mother’s  gentle  touch.  My  arms  levitated  above  her  shoulders  for  a  fleeting  moment,  but  soon  drooped  down  onto  her  small  frame  against  my  body.  I  slowly  pulled  her  away  from  her  emotional  affection  and  looked  straight  into  her  crystal  blue  eyes.  I  paused  to  think  about  what  I  was  going  to  say,  but  I  didn’t  want  to  waste  time  on  this  night  especially.  Inhaling  in  the  sweet  scent  of  Cecilia’s  perfume,  I  said,

“Cece,  promise  me  that  tonight  you’ll  have  more  confidence  in  yourself.  Show  off  your  beauty!  You  truly  do  look  amazing.  Promise  me  you’ll  have  fun?” 

Her  stunning  features  shone  out  to  me  like  a  star  as  I  stared  intensely  at  her  face,  but  when  her  amazing  smile  appeared  on  her  small  lips,  it  almost  seemed  like  she  was  an  angel  from  the  heavens.  Her  features  relaxed,  almost  wanting  to  cry,  but  she  forced  herself  to  keep  the  tears  from  spilling. 

I  hugged  her  again,  and  looked  back  towards  the  clock  on  the  wall  behind  her.  A  single  thought  ran  through  my  mind.  ‘We’re  gonna  be  late  .  .  .  for  Prom.’

Quickly,  I  released  her  once  more  from  the  comforting  embrace,  causing  Cecilia  to  take  a  step  backwards.  I  frantically  ran  over  to  the  couch,  grabbed  her  purse  and  shoved  it  into  her  dainty  hands.  My  small  handbag  was  already  set  inside  the  car  in  the  garage,  along  with  my  keys,  so  I  hurriedly  rushed  to  my  parents  to  kiss  them  a  goodbye.  As  I  passed  by,  I  clenched  Cecilia’s  skinny  arms  and  pulled  her  along  to  the  garage.

We  both  hopped  into  my  red  BMW  and  I  ignited  the  engine.  The  car’s  soft  purr  slipped  through  the  open  windows,  and  I  immediately  pulled  out  of  the  driveway.

I  stole  a  quick  glimpse  of  Cecilia,  who  was  staring  out  into  the  darkness  of  the  night,  mesmerized  by  the  small  shining  dots  in  the  sky.

“Hey,  Cecilia,  think  we’re  gonna  be  okay?” 

She  glanced  towards  the  digital  clock  showing  8:22.

“Yeah,  we’re  only  about  20  minutes  late,”  she  replied.  “We’ll  be  fine.”

I  nodded  curtly  and  returned  my  attention  to  the  wide  dull  road.  As  the  speed  limit  changed  into  70  mph,  my  foot  continued  pressuring  the  gas  pedal  to  bring  us  closer  to  the  night  of  our  dreams.  My  worried  mind  thought  about  the  hundreds  of  people  already  there,  dancing  with  the  ones  they  loved.  I  didn’t  want  Cecilia  to  miss  another  minute  of  that  glorious  moment  like  last  year.