Chapter 114: Beneath The Surface!

-8 HOURS LATER-

"This...  Is taking them a lot longer than I thought it would."  Mandalay said to Aizawa as they waited.  "I thought at least Midoriya would be here by now.  He has a form that allows him to travel at high speeds, doesn't he?"

"He calls it XLR8.  That form travels at speeds I thought was impossible for any human to be capable of.  If he had used it in the beginning, I'm sure he would've finished this little test in less than 5 seconds."  Aizawa replied.

"But then...  Why didn't he?"  Mandalay asked.

"...  Midoriya was never the type to ever think about himself in situations like these.  He was always a sharp kid for sure, after all; he was able to pick up what you all were planning on doing before anyone else did."  Aizawa replied.

"You got that right, we really had to be quick on our feet there.  I think that might've been the first time anyone's caught on that fast."  Mandalay replied.

"There's just something about him that separates him from the rest of his classmates.  Sure, he could've just gone XLR8 to bring everyone here as well; but if I know him as well as I think I do...  Then most likely; he chose not to in order to help his other classmates reach the goal as well."  Aizawa explained.

"He could've just-

"He could've...  But someone like him...  He would rather stand by and work with his classmates and friends rather than just show off just how capable he is.  When working in a team, it's important for a leader to work around their teammates, not the other way around.  You understand, right?"  Aizawa asked.

"Of course.  It's how you maxamize your teammates' abilities to their fullest potential and even guarantee a better synchronization rate in combat."  Mandalay replied. 

Midoriya knows what it's like to be ostracized just for being...  Well, different or weak.  For a long time, he believed that he was quirkless and was made the target for bullying for most of his life."  Aizawa continued.  "He hardly had anyone believe in him and held on desperately to this dream of his, the dream of becoming a hero.  And eventually, it paid off in the end."

"I remember, his speech during the sports festival..."  Mandalay replied.  "I was on the verge of tears when listening to his story.  To think he was alone for so long..."

"That's why he's still out there, fighting alongside his friends. He never wants anyone to feel that way, to feel like no one has your back when you really need it. He knows what it's like to be alone, to be left behind. He could easily clear this test on his own, but it wouldn't mean anything if he was the only reason why they passed.  A victory hard earned by you and your teammates together is worth more than any kind of personal gain and glory."  Aizawa explained.  "It lasts far longer and builds even stronger bonds of friendship, bonds that would last beyond time.  Know him, he'd do anything to protect that bond..."

"I didn't expect someone that selfless to be so young.  It's almost inspiring."  Mandalay added.

"He always puts others before himself, only thinking of their safety with hardly any regard for his own..."  Aizawa thought to himself as he remembered his talk with Izuku on the bus.

"I mean... I'm just a bit worried is all... With the League of Villains being in possessions of the Nomu's and all, I was just making sure that something like the USJ attack doesn't happen again..."