Chapter 1

I'm in a dark room. The only thing that I can see is a crack of light coming from what I hope is a door. I put my hands in front of me to keep from bumping into anything and start to walk.
When I'm what seems about a meter away from the door my leg bumps into something sharp and what I believe is metal.
I crash into the ground.
I immediately look up in time to see what I thought was the flicker of light right outside the door. Then that's when I hear a crash and someone swear to themselves.
I cry out "Who's there?"
No response.
I don't bother repeating myself because before I can the last thing I hear is the shuffling of feet behind me and feel a sharp pain in my neck.
***
I wake up dripping in sweat and find myself gasping for air.
It's not a surprise to me. I've had this dream for the past month. Everyday I get what seems like more of the dream. Pieces or fragments that keep adding in every night.
I've thought about telling my parents but they're so busy working ,that they don't have the time for their only child. I guess I am almost old enough to take care of myself. I mean, my sixteenth birthday is coming up and I'm pretty sure after all the time that I have had to live without them here, I can last.
I could also get therapy. Although I know nobody in this small, hopeless town that could help with my dreams. Except maybe Alec, my best friend. He's really smart and can do anything to make me smile again. His smile can just about do anything to cheer me up. The one little dimple makes me shrivel up because...
Ok Val, enough daydreaming about your best friend, you don't stand a chance with him anyway. I mean every other girl swoons over him. Get up. Do something productive.
After i snap myself out of my trance I get up and go to the bathroom to wash up.
I take a warm shower which only lasts about 2 minutes because we have to conserve anything and everything that we can because we have very little access to things like electricity and heating.
At least, in my sector we do.
The town of Harem is split up into 4 different sectors.
Sector 1. The sector where all the leadership and government is done. The wealthiest of all 4.
Sector 2. The sector where all our plumbing and electricity is maintained.
Sector 3. The sector of agriculture, which provides food for the whole town.
4. The homeless sector. Pretty self explanatory.
I live in sector 3, my job is to farm and make sure that all the food gets shipped off to the other sectors.
I rather hate living in sector 3. We barely get any percentage of the food given to the other sectors and get payed very little by the economy because they don't think we work hard enough.
My hope is that when the testing comes on my sixteenth birthday, I'll get chosen to go into government and leadership. Yet my birthday just won't get here fast enough.
I get dressed after I hop out of the shower and that's when I hear a knock.