You're on your own kid|Chapter one|

In life, in order for someone to win, someone must lose. For someone to be rich, there must be poor. For someone to be successful, there must be unsuccessful. For someone to be a main character, they must have a best friend, and that's where I come in.

Belly is like the sun; you can't help but be drawn to her even before she "turned pretty." I always thought Belly was beautiful, but apparently the braces and glasses were holding her back.

I look at Belly and sometimes I think if she were anyone else I would hate her. I don't try in school as hard anymore because my grades are never higher than Belly's, even when I study longer. No matter how much I practise volleyball, she is always better. Even when it came to family, she had her mom and dad who loved her, a brother, and even the Fisher family, I only had a dad who isn't around that much due to work.

Despite having every reason to be jealous of her, I wasn't because it's Belly, my best friend, the girl who is always by my side, the girl I can always count on to be there.

The first time I truly felt special was the first time Belly invited me to cousins when I was 11. I remember the trip like it happened yesterday because in that moment I wasn't just there to be the supporting act to Belly; I was there to be the main character in Steven's eyes anyway.

Steven always had a way of seeing me for who I am, no matter how cocky, confident, or arrogant I pretend to be.

Well half pretend.

The bus ride was long. I was sat next to some guy who must have been drunk or high. I just remember he smelled like shit and kept coughing on me, but it was all worth it when I finally got there and was greeted by belly and laurel.

"Bels." I ran towards her, and she caught me in a hug.

"I can't believe you're here. I can't wait to show you the beach house. You're going to love it. Oh, and the beach. Oh, and bored walk. We have to go there. Oh, and the pool." Belly's excitement got the better of her.

"Woah, Taylor just got here. How about we go for ice cream?" Laurel suggested.

"Banana Split" belly raised an eyebrow to her mom, and she just nodded.

That became a tradition every time I came.

My first impression of cousins was well

"This is some serious rich people shit." I knew Belly's Summer House was fancy, but this place was huge, with an outdoor pool and massive ass lake with a dock and like 3 cars on the drive way. This was another level.

"Don't swear, my mom is right there." Belly was always so rule-abiding towards Laurel.

"Belly, look at this place. We literally drove past a country club on the way here." What the fuck do you need a country club for anyway?

"Just come in and meet everyone, and please be nice." No belly, I'm just going to come to these people's house and be an ass.

"I'm always nice." I try my hardest.

"Then be extra nice."

"Whatever"

Susannah can only be described in one word: warm. From the moment I met her, she treated me just like another daughter. She made me feel like the guest room was mine. She made me feel like the entire house was mine. I think she just has a way of making people feel welcome.