Prologue

As a child, I had a quote hanging on my wall, "Don't fall in love, be in love. Things that fall break." That was my life motto until the age of 16. I never had a boyfriend and I thought it was time to get one.
Unfortunately, I fell for a popular guy named Max. He was absolutely dreamy. His eyes were blue like the sky on a clear day, speckled with sand from a tropical beach that were to die for and his chocolate brown hair always fell perfectly on his head, swooshed over in a way that no one else could ever pull off. He was on the varsity football team starting in freshman year and he had the most toned muscles with a sharp jawline that defined the beauty of his flawless skin. How could you not fall for that?
In his adolescensy, Max seemed like he would turn out to be the biggest player, but in reality he was just the opposite. He had only ever had one girlfriend and it was in eighth grade and it lasted until freshman year, when his girlfriend decided to cheat on him. What a bitch she was.
Anyway, I fell for Max, which was the worst decision my hormones could possibly make for me. My brain wasn't involved much in my decision to like him-I didn't want my brain involved because that's never gotten girls anywhere with the guys that are higher in the social ranking system.
Max seemed to be mature now and his sophisticated aura made him seem sexy, and his commitment levels with everything were so high that he just seemed to be perfect, but nothing in this world was truly perfect. Guys have tried to get with me before and I always fall for their bullshit right before I figure out they're only using me for my body and don't care what happens to me. I hoped and prayed to god that Max wasn't like those other guys, but I had never talked to him. I made a goal. I would talk to him the next day, whenever I got the chance.