: ̗̀➛Prologue - II

"People need to be told they're worthy of being alive by someone else or they can't go on

"People need to be told they're worthy of being alive by someone else or they can't go on."

─── ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅ ───

For as long as (Y/N) could remember, pain clung to them like a second skin. Like a bothersome stray cat someone made the mistake of feeding, it followed- always nearby. 

And though it would visit them in thousands of silhouettes and masks- never daring to make use of an old disguise- (Y/N) could always feel the familiar shiver crawl up their spine.

Misfortune had fallen in love with   (Y/N) long ago, chasing like a lover distraught.

And that unfortunate love festered and pursued until (Y/N) had little choice but to succumb.

It was a terrible contrast- the cold marble swirled beneath their knees, biting through the thin fabric, and the glassy, thousand-eyed glare the figures standing far above them gave, one that burns and sears their flesh.

The stained glass burns red even as it depicts the garden- paradise.

The rosary beads wrap around their trembling wrists, not unlike handcuffs on that of a shamed criminal. 

“Eyes closed, girl. You know better than to disgrace Him like that.” Akin to the angular snake curled around a glass branch, the man hisses down at the trembling figure.

It was Sunday once more, where after the rest had left once the sermon was completed, (Y/N) found themselves staying in the church long into the night. With the rosary chaining them to the altar like the word of God while the serpent hisses and spits.

His- the headmaster’s- hand digs into their white hair, curling and digging away at their scalp, a silent threat as he forcibly bows their head.

“Good.”

The serpent slithers down the tree, shedding itself of its pure feathers as it coils around the apple.

And Eve- as naive as could be- simply could not resist the serpent’s call.