143 • Shadow Queen

Reina was in a predicament and no, it wasn't about her gender.

Actually, Reina considered the pros and cons of becoming Tosei Nagarei again, but decided to take a different route. Becoming Tosei Nagarei meant becoming the center of the delinquent world. It meant having a gang of her own, be it as a leader or a member, and Reina didn't want that.

To be publicly associated with one gang would limit her movements. There would be many gangs playing a big role in shaping the future, not just Toman or Black Dragon or Ryujin. There were also many people from many different gangs who had a hand in shaping the future, and that was why she couldn't be chained down to just one gang.

But while she could always be a temporarily hired arm, that would draw unnecessary attention and distrust towards her. What she needed wasn't a role in the spotlight, but many spots in the shadows where she could tweak the situation into what would help her create the future she wanted.

That brought her to her next predicament, Mikey's accident.

She had only seen Mikey and Takemichi from afar, and they were both acting too aloof and carefree to know about the future. But she still needed to check. She didn't want their first meeting to be half-assed, but she needed to meet them as soon as possible even if it was only to ease herself into confirming that she was the only stray cogwheel left. The one she needed to meet most, however, was Mikey.

She didn't know how she could stop Mikey from getting into an accident without raising suspicions. It would be weird if a kid suddenly came up to Shinichiro and told him not to buy a toy airplane because it would bring misfortune. If things went south, Mikey would still get into the accident and Shinichiro would remember her, then he would do everything in his power to kill her so he could time leap, and everything would repeat itself.

Yeah, no.

"I need to make Manjiro not wanna play with that damn toy."

"From how you described him, you'd have better luck finding that pet snake of yours." Lying on his back on the carpeted floor, Harui flipped through the textbooks he had just bought without sparing Reina a glance. "And both can be solved if you go outside."

Throwing him a dirty look, Reina got up from the comfortable pillow that was her brother and stomped towards the door. Grabbing Harui's hoodie, she crumpled it and grabbed her keys, zipping up her boots and leaving without saying anything.

She could find Marseille in her old house slash flower shop. But even if she couldn't, the snake would at least live a free life, so she wasn't that concerned. Of course, Reina would still search for her snake, but it wasn't an urgent matter, at least not as urgent as preventing Mikey's accident.

While she could always visit Sano's dojo under the guise of wanting to learn, Reina needed to be close to Mikey to actually prevent him from falling off those damn stairs, and the only way she could do that was by being his friend. But if she became his friend, then there was a high chance she would get roped into joining Toman in the future, and that couldn't happen.

Besides, Mikey was a little shit who thought girls were weaker than him, so there was also that. Reina didn't mind being a boy since she enjoyed both genders, but goddammit did she hate being a boy just to justify her strength. But then again, her body had grown considerably weaker, and while she had been training with Victoire to get used to her body, she could still feel the gap.

That didn't mean she couldn't beat Mikey though.

"Wait." Freezing in her tracks, Reina widened her eyes. Right, she didn't need to befriend Mikey and watch over him. All she needed to do was divert his attention from that stupid toy. With that, she turned on her heels and searched for the nearest boutique.