Jesus As God And Man

Three Positions of Jesus

Proverbs 30:4 Who hath ascended up into Heaven, or descended? Who hath gathered the wind in His fists? Who hath bound the waters in a garment Who hath established all the ends of the earth? What is His name, and what is His Son's name, if thou canst tell?

The truth of Jesus being both God and Man simultaneously has proven difficult for many to grasp. One thing that may help is considering three positions which Jesus holds. They are not the only ones; however, these three bring much clarity: Son of Man, Son of God and God the Son. Let's see what Scripture says, and specifically, what Jesus says. Only a handful of scriptures will be used for the sake of brevity. It would be well worth studying in far greater detail than what is presented here. Go deep!

Son Of Man

Philippians 2:5-11 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made Himself of no reputation (NASB says emptied Himself), and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a Name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in Heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

The Son of man represents man to God, and it's from this position, Jesus identifies with us, took on our sins, and was crucified for us (Matthew 17:22-23; 26:1-3; Mark 8:31; Luke 9:21; John 3:14; 2 Corinthians 5:21, etc.). Also, Jesus said it's from this position He judges mankind.

John 5:26-27 For as the Father hath life in Himself; so hath He given to the Son to have life in Himself; And hath given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of man (see also Matthew 13:36-43; 24:1-50; 25:1-46; 26:64; Mark 2:1-12, etc.).

Son of God

Romans 1:3-6 Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: By Whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for His name: Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ.

As the Son of God, Jesus represents God to man. From this position He gives us life and raises us up to be the children of God, and as such, we live by His faith (Galatians 2:20).

John 5:25-26 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. For as the Father hath life in Himself; so hath He given to the Son to have life in Himself.

Galatians 4:4-7 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the Law, To redeem them that were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ (see John 1:12-13; Romans 8:1-17; 1John 5:9-13, etc.).

God The Son

John 1:1-4 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made. In Him was life; and the life was the Light of men.

Jesus was there at the beginning, because He is also God the Son. Even Genesis reveals this in the opening chapters.

Genesis 1:1-3 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light (Read the entire chapter).

Father, Son and Holy Spirit are revealed in the first three verses. "And God said" points to the Word of God, Who is Jesus. To some this may sound like a stretch, but there is more.

Genesis 1:26-27 And God said, Let Us make man in Our image, after Our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in His Own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.

Notice God said, "Let Us make man in Our image." That's plural; He did not say let Me make man in My image. Let's go further.

Colossians 3:12-18 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the Kingdom of His dear Son: In Whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the Firstborn of every creature: For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him: And He is before all things, and by Him all things consist. And He is the Head of the Body, the Church: Who is the beginning, the Firstborn from the dead; that in all things He might have the preeminence (see also Ephesians 3:8-9; Hebrews 1:1-3; Revelation 19:13, etc.).

All things were created by and for Jesus, which also reveals Him as our Creator as well as our Redeemer. God being God, He can reveal Himself to us anyway He pleases. What has been presented here only scratches the surface. There are numerous other verses in the Bible that reveal more on this topic, which is the reason "etc." was added at the end of some the lists of Scripture given. Search the Scriptures to see if it be so.