[ 22. the second riff-off ]

| y/n's pov |

"OKAY, LET'S MEET our teams." The man spoke. "First, we have the Treblemakers!"

The spotlight was pointed at the boys and I clapped with the rest of the people as the boys seemed to cheer for themselves. Benji was holding up a playing card and Jesse pushed his hand down.

"Okay, we have the Barden Bellas!" The light pointed to us.

"We have the Tone Hangers!" The light settled on a group of five men, two of whom I recognized from the regionals in our Freshman year when they fought the Trebles. I also recognized Bumper, which I found ironic considering he made fun of them only three years ago.

After watching them sing about sorbet, the man spoke again. "And taking a break from their national tour, Das Sound Machine!"

"DSM!"

"Ja!"

"DSM!"

"Ja!"

"DSM!"

"Ja!"

They chanted after they were put under the spotlight.

"And the pride of Wisconsin, the Green Bay Packers!"

Two of the men ripped the jacket sleeves off of another one. Jesse gave me a surprised look from across the room.

"What?" Beca was surprised.

"I'd like to be the brisket in that man sandwich." Amy stated, staring at the football team.

"Well, here's how this is gonna work. When I point to you, you sing a song from one of the categories that's gonna appear up there on the big board." The man spoke and pointed up to the screen. "There's only one rule. You have to meet the beat."

He gestured to one of the guys from DSM who stepped forward and started beatboxing.

"But you have to do it follow-the-leader style." The man got one of the Tone Hangers to join them.

The guy from the Tone Hangers started his own beat based off of the DSM guy's beat. They went back and forth like that until the Tone Hanger guy ended it with an explosion sound.

So, it was basically a riff-off. We were good at those.

"Wow! Oh, boy!" The man who invited us spoke again. "Oh, my goodness. That was fun. If you can't carry the tune, the whole team's out. As in you gone!"

The man picked up the hammer-thing for the gong with a grunt.

"And then... Cornelius, this is too heavy." He said to a man nearby. "I told you before... 'Cause I hurt my arm saluting the flag."

He managed to lift it high enough to hit the gong and it clanged again.

"Okay, sorry. Now, the winners will get epic bragging rights!" No one seemed to be impressed by that. "Oh, and I'm sorry, did I not mention this? A $42,000 gift card to Dave Buster's! I know Clay Matthews wants it. Okay, all right. Let's get this thing started. Let's take a look at the first category!"