Inazuma - Prequel

Hushed whispers followed the sound of metal clinking and heavy footfalls of the Tenryou Commission's soldiers, feeding into the tense atmosphere of Watatsumi Island. Even the waters of Watatsumi were eerily still, motionless in fear of the storm brewing above the island.

"Is that Kujou Sara and her soldiers? Why is she back here?"

"Weren't they just here yesterday for the peace talks?"

"Well, have you heard the rumors? With Kujou Sara here, that means..."

"It's them... it must've been them."

"The Tenryou Commission... we should just stop them right here and now!"

"Be patient, you know our orders. General Gorou called for their arrival. We are not to interfere unless ordered otherwise."

Kujou Sara eyed the whispering crowd that watched her and her soldiers make their way to the Pearlescent Palace. But even the sharpest glare of a tengu warrior didn't scare the crowd in the slightest. In fact, the crowd only grew as more and more people left their homes to catch sight of the Tenryou Commission on their lands. And those who were already outside dropped what they were doing - farm tools abandoned, toys discarded on the grass, and idle chit chat quickly concluded - in favor of joining in on the sudden commotion in the otherwise peaceful town.

However, even the dullest of soldiers could not mistake the crowd as someone greeting royalty or a famous celebrity to their home. No, it was far from that. The people seemed to act as one, watching with their dozens of eyes for any little thing that seemed off. Some sets of eyes glared at the passing group, while others were more curious, intrigued, and Kujou Sara would even dare say suspicious, though she couldn't understand the reason for such suspicion. Sure, Kujou Sara herself knew that it would take time - a lot of time - for the people of Watatsumi to recover from the recent war, and it was understandable for them to hold a grudge. But this... this was far from the slight uneasiness of the people when the first peace talks were held.

The general took a deep breath. "Ignore the crowd, just keep walking," Kujou Sara reminded herself as she shifted her eyes back on the winding road in front of her - the road that led to the very center of Watatsumi Island.

But it seems some of her soldiers couldn't take their attention off the tense atmosphere.

"What happened here? I know they don't worship the Shogun like us, but yesterday we didn't experience... this during the peace talks," one of her soldiers walking beside her whispered.

At least that confirms that she wasn't the only one. She too believed the sudden rise in hostility was rather odd.

Making sure to keep her voice down, Kujou Sara warned, "I have no idea, but be on your guard."

The soldier lowered their voice even more. "What did Gorou say in his letter again?"

Kujou Sara didn't need to pull out the letter to recite the few words written by the Watatsumi Army's general, "'Come to the Pearlescent Palace as soon as possible for your actions. If not, I'll personally find you myself'."

It wasn't just an order, let alone a friendly letter reminding them of the next peace talk. It was a threat.

The soldier began to fidget with their spear, nervously stealing glances at the crowd. "'For your actions'? All we did was attend the peace talks..."

"That's why we are here to find out exactly what happened," Kujou Sara pointed out without a hint of hesitation. "The Almighty Shogun wishes to establish peace with Watatsumi Island after the war, so it is our mission to see to it that her wish is granted."