001

It was mid-winter, and the town was coated in a fresh layer of snow. Boots crunched against salt-sprinkled sidewalks, and warm breath came out in puffs as people conversed. I gently dusted the snow off a wooden bench, and sat down, watching as people walked down the sidewalk, crossed streets, and cars whizzed past them. Minutes later, I saw Mary, my girlfriend walk up. She placed herself beside me on the bench, and smiled. I gladly returned the expression, and she tucked a strand of blonde hair behind her ear. 

"I didn't exactly make reservations, but just up the street is a cafe, that makes the best hot chocolate you will ever have." She giggled. 

"That sounds perfect, let's go," She said, and I stood up, extending a gloved hand to her, to which she placed her own, and I gently helped her up. Intertwining wool-covered fingers, we began the short walk up the street. 

Mary brought the warm paper cup to her lips, and sipped at her hot chocolate. "This really is delicious," she said, setting the cup back on the table, and I smiled. 

"I told you, didn't I?" She grinned, and I heard the bell above the entrance ring, and a tall, thin, pale boy with raven hair walked in, and up to the cashier. He unwrapped his navy blue scarf, and fished money out of his pocket while ordering. He handed crumpled paper money to the cashier, and mumbled something to himself. Another worker handed him his drink, and he muttered a 'thanks'. He made his way over to an empty table, and took off his coat, setting it on the chair beside him, and setting his bag on the table. He opened it, and pulled out a laptop and papers. I was so caught up in what he was doing, I hadn't noticed Mary was talking to me. When my head finally jerked towards her, she rolled her eyes and laughed. 

"I have to go, Molly wants me to meet up with her to go shopping for the formal. I'll see you later, Johnny-boy," she slipped her gloves and coat on, and wrapped her scarf snugly around her neck. Scooping up her drink into wool coated hands, she leaned over the table and gently kissed my forehead. "Love you." I smiled, and watched her leave. 

"Love you too.." I mumbled as she walked away. When she had left, and I heard the bell ring, I turned my head back over to the boy, who was quickly typing away on his laptop, pausing every minute or so to take a sip of his drink. He stopped abruptly, and then turned to look at his papers, he picked them up and shuffled through them, finally finding the one he was looking for and pulling a pen out of his bag. He set the paper on top of the stack and started scribbling. He was most likely doing schoolwork, or something along the lines. I picked up my drink, and grabbed my coat, draping it over my arm and standing up. I pushed in my chair, and wandered over to the doorway, which led to the second half of the cafe, a bookstore. The boy was sitting by the entrance, so I was hoping that I would be able to see what he was working on when I pased by. 

I hummed quietly to myself as I walked, I paused for a moment, staring at his computer screen for a moment. He was typing what looked like a blog post. He stopped typing, and turned to look at me. I froze. 

"What do you want," He said flatly, and I clammed up. I opened my mouth to say something, and then closed it, unable to form words. He rolled his eyes. "You've been staring at me since I came in, what do you want?" I searched through my head, trying to find an excuse, but to no avail. I sighed.

"I just- um... I-I... I thought um..." I paused. "You uh, you looked familiar! I'm sure I've seen you somewhere before..." He rolled his eyes again, and turned his head back to his laptop screen. 

"Whatever, leave me alone." He muttered. I exhaled, and walked away quickly, passing through the doorway and into the bookstore. I made my way to the manga section, and scanned the shelves for Death Note. I just finished volume six, so I needed to get the next few. Finally finding it, I grabbed the next three volumes, and carried my stack to the register. I set them on the counter, and fished my wallet out of my pocket. I handed the money to the cashier, and she opened the register, placing the money in the clips and pulling out the change. She handed it to me, and I stuffed the money into my wallet, while she bagged the books. I set my hot chocolate on the counter and slipped on my coat, then pulled my gloves from the inside pocket and slid them on my hands. I picked up the plastic bag and my drink. I thanked the cashier, and exited the bookstore, passing through the cafe, and nearly bumping the boy's chair as I walked past him. I could feel his eyes burning into my back as I walked out the door, and I heard the bell chime. 

As I left the cafe, there was a rush of freexing cold air that stung my face and ears, and I shivered, not expecting the sudden change in temperature. I stood on the street corner, and held my hand out, trying to hail a cab. One pulled up in front of me, and I opened the door and got in, happy to be out of the cold. I told the cabbie my address, and he sped off. I leaned back in the seat, and pulled out my phone, taking a deep breath and then letting it out. I turned on my phone, to reveal that I had three messages, and one missed call. Two messages and a call from Harry, and one message from Mary. I switched off my phone and stuffed it into my pocket, licking my chapped lips and shifting in my seat. 

Winter break was only just beginning.