Chapter 3: Part 1 (Win Some, Lose Some)

[14 players remain]

We were a total of 14 people venturing down an elongated hallway that lacked light. The sole light source emanated from the yellow lights situated at the end of the pathway. It appeared as though they had formed a straight line reminiscent of the lights on a stage where models present themselves. As we left the long and dark hallway, Céleste came up to me. She gazed at me and expressed her concern about something feeling off. My gaze remained fixed on her eyes. "Our sole purpose is to take part in the upcoming game. Without losing our lives, we will be able to make it out of here intact. I promise." I guaranteed her with confidence that I would fulfill my promise. Afterwards, the lights were switched on and a game show stage appeared before us.

Upon investigation, I observed numerous radiant lights gleaming throughout the area. On either side of the large screen were six seats, accompanied by a sizable circular object in the middle containing something. The host showed us where to sit. The boys are on one side and the girls are on the other side. Two doors opened and two people came out. A man and a woman. They were tied up and sitting on their knees with bags over their heads. The host removed the bags and it was revealed to be Hasana and Xavion. They looked as if they had just woken up.

"Welcome to your next game. The title of this game is Score Meter. Select a digit from 1 to 100, after which we will multiply those said numbers. Once you multiply the numbers, the resulting answer will be divided by twelve. The individual who selects the number that is nearest to the desired number will emerge as the game's winner and advance one meter. However, you cannot go beyond 14 meters. The individual who fails to emerge victorious will descend by a distance of 1 meter from their current position. To move yourself two meters backwards, you must locate and identify the precise number that came as the result. Begin. Ladies first." the host told them.

I looked over at Hasana and Xavion. I noticed that there was a large pool of acid beneath them. It seems that the game will go on until one of them falls into the acid. My face went pale to the thought of it. "How did this happen? Didn't we all go in the tunnel together?" Jago asked. I was wondering the same thing. The game started and I watched closely. "17" Hasana said. Xavion thought for a minute. "38" he said with a sigh. "17 x 38 is 646. 646 divided by 12 is 53.8. Xavion wins the round." the host announced. With that, Hasana's platform dropped down one meter and she yelped. Xavion sighed. "Getting dropped into acid? I want to die but that sounds much too painful. This isn't my cup of tea." he shook his head. Round 2 began and Hasana chose 12 while Xavion chose 7.

12 x 7 = 84

84/12 = 7

Xavion got the exact number but didn't move because he never dropped. Hasana on the other hand, dropped another meter. She was 12 meters away from the acid. Round 3 began. Hasana said 58 and Xavion said 40.

58 x 40 = 2320

2320/12 = 193.3

Xavion dropped a meter and Hasana raised a meter. I finally began to understand the rules of the game. The game was not only about luck, but about your wits as well. If you can do the math you could quickly try and guess a number to save yourself. I've heard of a game just like this. It was a show on Nootflix I watched. Round 4 began and Hasana chose 98 and Xavion chose 100.

98 x 100 = 9800

9800/12 = 816.6 rounded up to 817

Xavion was closer, having him go up once and Hasana dropped once. Hasana was now at 12 meters and Xavion at a solid 14 meters, at the beginning. I just knew that this game would go on for a while.