we'll meet again

TWs : major death, slight gore

this is based on mia's book, The History of Yardale. read all of that before this. it's an amazing book anyway!

none of this is canon to that book (except for leslie showing up and taking pip).

-

the robot had no trouble finding the ragtag group that she had been programmed to silence. it's not like she had planned on killing one of them. oh well, she thought, just one less person to stop yardale.

leslie immediately noticed the man in a nice orange suit. wrong target, the robot realized. not that it mattered. she had just shot the backbone, the glue, of this little friend group. in fact, she didn't even have a 'target' of this friend group. she just had meant to shoot gregory. 

she wanted to avenge herself after what that stupid mormon did to her, anyway.

grabbing pip while nearly everyone was distracted, the robot heard damien make what she would call a cat-like hiss as she flew off with the blond. 

after a few seconds of silence from the mere shock of what just happened, rebecca was the first to speak up. "GARY!" she yelled, kneeling where she was beside him. the loudness of her voice startled even her, as she was usually quiet. 

"rebecca- i.. it'll be okay." the utahn replied with a small smile. being the (almost) doctors of the group, he and the brunette knew there was nothing to do. he wasn't going to make it. at least trying to hold herself together upon this realization, rebecca moved to put gary's head in her lap. 

"you all- besides my family.. were my very best friends." gary spoke brokenly. he knew that it would hurt more to speak, but he felt like he needed to tell them all a final goodbye. "at least.. god will claim on more angel.." after he broke off, all of the group glared at mole- who had snorted at the talk of god- besides damien, who gave him a thumbs up just out of gary's sight. 

"i can say hello to pocket, now.. and my family-" the blond added in a happy (yet pain-filled) tone as he grabbed gregory's hand. this was how he would have wanted to die, anyway, he realized. surrounded by his very best friends, and while doing what he loved best; helping people. 

".. i miss them." was the last words that the group heard from gary before his eyes closed for the last time. gregory continued to stare at the smiling, yet lifeless, body for some time. like rebecca, he had continued to hold his hand- whereas she had his head in her lap. 

"well." mark started with a cough, being the first to speak after gary's passing. "that was funny, wasn't it?" immediately after saying this, dogpoo gently slapped his chest from where he was- which crying into mark's shoulder. 

as they had all prepared to go into the portal to hell, rebecca looked at the sky. 'yeah,' she thought to herself with a hum. 'he's happier up there. he would hate to go to hell anyway.' and she felt happier with this ending. maybe, one day, she would see the bright, sunshine-y boy again that she called her best friend. 

she wasn't one to lie herself, however, and she knew how much being without her best friend would hurt. rebecca had concluded this with tears in her eyes as she held the cross gary had been wearing protectively in her hands. no one had dared to disagree with her as she took it off and kept it for herself- even if mark personally knew it was technically a crime.

the glue that held together their group may have dried up, but she knew that it would still work perfectly fine for someone else- someone that needed it more.

-

at the gates of heaven, gary waited in what could barely be called a line patiently. he had a smile on his face, as always, beaming to see pocket and his family again. he had tried to make a conversation with the person that was behind him in line, but had decided to stop shortly after they saw his bisexual patch on his jacket.

 "what country is that?" the man, not much older than him, asked. gary had come to know that his name was marcus. "oh! well, this isn't a country- it's the bisexual pride flag! that means you..." he cut himself off when he saw the other was glaring at him, and he quickly turned back around before he could be given the homophobic spiel. 

'well, gary, you knew that there would be homophobes in heaven. even if it's not a sin, many people believe it is.' he said to himself. the blond didn't get angry hardly ever, but he truly did hate homophobes. he didn't want to start an argument, however, so he knew not saying anything was best. 

as he was getting closer, gary saw the the person in front of him had dropped something- it looked like some kind of earring. as he bent down to pick it up, he saw it sinking into the clouds. as a reflex, he bent more to pick it up, but lost his balance- clouds really aren't as structurally sound as you'd think! quickly trying to save himself, he scrambled his hands nearly everywhere to find a placement, but with the large group of people that filled the clouds, he couldn't. as he continued falling to the point he knew he couldn't save himself anymore, there was a sad smile on his face. 

he only wanted to help people. to love. to see his late friends and family again. now, however, it was all washed away with the feeling of burning. it hurt so much as he fell. gary wasn't an idiot, however, and he had known that falling from heaven would hurt. he just never thought it would be this  bad. all of his nerves were sparking, telling him to that every ounce of his skin was burning, even if it was only his wings that were on fire. he wanted so desperately to just be able to fly back up, but his new wings were much too weak to be able to flap them much longer than a few seconds, and mixed with the burning of them, it only made the fall hurt worse.

he knew he hadn't done anything wrong- or he hadn't tried to, anyway- but a part of his brain wondered if anyone else would have tried to pick up the earring for the person in front of him.

 he wasn't mad at the group, of course. not even when they didn't notice him falling. why would he blame them for something they couldn't control? that would be silly.

he decided he would forgive them all if they did notice but decided not to help, even the homophobe he had met. it wasn't his fault that he had been raised to hate them. 

even as the glue that held a group together dried up for the final time, he had nothing in his heart except happiness, as he usually did. 

despite all of the burning hot pain that covered his entire body, gary couldn't help but feel happy, even if he wasn't sure what he was so happy about. maybe it was that he had died twice today doing what he truly loved best: helping people.