Ice Cream Dreams

September; 2018

The afternoon sun painted the sky with hues of orange and pink as I stared out of my bedroom window. I leaned my head against the cool glass, my fingers idly tracing patterns on the sill. It was one of those bittersweet moments – when the beauty of the world outside contrasted sharply with the reality of what was happening inside me.

Nathan sat on my bed, his blue eyes filled with concern as he reached out to gently touch my hand. "Hey," he whispered softly, his voice like a soothing melody. "How are you feeling today?"

I offered him a faint smile, my heart aching at the sight of worry etched across his handsome face. "I'm okay, Nathan. Just a bit tired, that's all." 

He sighed, his thumb rubbing soothing circles on the back of my hand. "You don't have to be 'okay' all the time, Charlotte. You know that, right? "

I nodded, blinking back tears. "I know, but I don't want to burden you with my stupid little thoughts."

He chuckled softly, the sound warm and comforting. "You could never be a burden, Char. I will gladly take all your pain, anger, and hurt if it means I can see your beautiful smile."

"You're too good to me," I whispered, wiping away the single tear that snaked its way down my cheek.

"I know," Nathan smiled brightly. "Now, how about we shake things up a bit today?"

I frowned, confused. "What do you mean?"

Nathan's grin widened, his eyes sparkling mischievously. "I mean, how about we escape the confines of these sad four walls and go get some ice cream? It's a beautiful day outside, and I think a little change of scenery could do wonders for your spirits."

I opened my mouth to protest, but he raised an eyebrow, his grin unwavering. "Come on, Char. I know you're not feeling your best, but a little ice cream won't hurt. And besides, I know the perfect place."

I hesitated, my mind warring between my desire to stay cocooned in my comfort zone and the idea of spending time with Nathan, even if it meant venturing outside when I felt vulnerable. Finally, I sighed in resignation. "I could go for some ice cream."

Nathan's triumphant smile lit up the room, and he jumped off the bed with a playful twirl. "That's the spirit! Now, let's get you dressed and ready to rock this ice cream adventure." As he helped me choose an outfit, his fingers brushed against my arm gently, sending shivers down my spine. His proximity, his unwavering support, it all felt like a lifeline in a sea of uncertainty.

The ice cream parlor Nathan took me to was a cozy little spot with colorful chairs and vintage decor that made it feel like a time capsule from the past. The tinkling of a bell announced our arrival, and the scent of freshly baked waffle cones enveloped us as we stepped inside. Nathan held the door open for me with a flourish, his grin infectious. "Welcome to Ice Cream Heaven," he declared dramatically. I rolled my eyes, but couldn't suppress a chuckle.

"You're such a dork."

He winked, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "But you love it."

I couldn't help a little laugh escape me as we approached the counter, where rows of vibrant ice cream flavors awaited. Nathan's arm brushed against mine as we leaned in, studying the options. 

"Hello guys, what can I get started for you," the worker behind the counter asked us. 

I went to open my mouth to give the worker my order when Nathan spoke up. "One scoop of chocolate chip cookie dough for the lady, and for me..." He looked at the choices with exaggerated concentration. "I'll have a scoop of mint chocolate chip, thank you."

He remembered. 

Nathan knew my favorite ice cream flavor even though I had only mentioned it once, back when we were ten.

As the server prepared our orders, Nathan leaned closer, his breath tickling my ear. "You know," he whispered, "ice cream has magical properties. It has the power to make even the gloomiest of days a little brighter."

I couldn't help but smile, feeling a warmth spread through my chest at his words. The server handed us our ice cream cones, and we made our way to a small table near the window. Sunlight streamed in, casting a gentle glow over Nathan's face, making his golden hair shimmer like spun gold. We sat in comfortable silence for a moment, enjoying the cool sweetness of the ice cream. I stole a glance at Nathan, finding him lost in thought as he savored his treat.

"You were right," I finally admitted. "This was a good idea."

Nathan looked at me, his eyes softening. "See? I'm not always full of nonsense."

I giggled, leaning my head against his shoulder. "Only most of the time."

He laughed, and the sound was like music. "Well, I'm glad you're having a good time, Char."

I nodded, a sense of contentment settling over me. "Thank you for being here, Nathan. For dragging me out of my comfort zone and making me feel alive, even when things are tough." His fingers found mine, his touch gentle and reassuring.

"You don't have to thank me, Char. Being here with you, supporting you, it's what I want to do. Always."

As the sun dipped lower in the sky, casting an amber glow over everything, I realized that despite the darkness that had invaded my life, there were still moments of light, moments of sweetness and warmth that I could hold onto. And sitting here with Nathan, ice cream in hand, I knew that no matter what the future held, we would face it together – one scoop at a time.