ethan and emma were never a good couple

sorry it switches from 1st person to 3rd and vice verse im just lazy 😭

It was another mundane Friday.

It was the end of the week, and almost everyone was dreading the finals next Monday. While Derek was trying to forget about it, it was a difficult task when everyone was complaining about them.

"These finals will be the end of me!" Someone said at the end of the lunch table. Derek picked up his sandwich and was about to take a bite, until he noticed a very pouty Ethan walking towards him.

He was 5'7, still waiting for a growth spurt, even though he's only in 9th grade. He had cargo shorts on, with a plain shirt and a pair of converse. His expression was a soft frown, his eyes sore from what looked like crying.

As he walked closer to the table, meeting Derek's eyes, Derek moved down the table to make a bit of room for Ethan. Derek had a larger frame, and was normally mistaken for a senior. He was only a grade above Ethan, but he was still 7 inches taller.

"Hmph." Ethan pouted as he sat at the table, crossing his arms on the table. "Uh... are you okay, bro?" I said, examining his face again. "No, no I'm not!" he said angrily, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be getting mad at you." As Ethan put his head into his folded arms, Derek wrapped his arm around his back and inched closer to his aching body.

"You don't look too good, what happened?" I questioned, as Ethan raised his head a little higher. He gave a cute smirk, as he noticed my arm around him~ but it was quickly washed away when he remembered what was on his mind.

"So you know Emma, the girl I'm dating- was dating, right?" he said, speedily with anger. Derek gave a small nod every few words to show he was following along. "It turned out that she was actually cheating on me! With PATRICK!"

I couldn't help but gasp a little, as I was genuinely surprised. "He's such a deuche, I don't even understand her taste. He's not even hot- well not like I find guys hot, but still!" I saw a small tear form at the edge of his eye just from talking about it.

"Maybe we should talk about something other than your breakup? Please don't cry," I said, rubbing his arm with my arm, still around him. "Yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-" "Don't say sorry," I said, cutting him off. "Sorry- I mean, yeah." Ethan pulled his hand away from the table and fixed his hair a little.

"Should we talk about the finals..?" "God, anything but the finals!" I spit out. I could barely even say it... finals. I saw Ethan give a little chuckle, which almost made me feel warm in a way.

"No, seriously, we still have to work on our study packet!" Ethan said, whining almost. "Well, I'm free all weekend if you wanna come over?" Ethan blushed a little, as his mouth smiled a little. "To study- I mean," I say, correcting myself.

The blush went away, but he still forced a small smile. "You can always stay over for a night or two- my parent's wont be back from their vacation until Tuesday," I say, smiling a little. "That sounds great!" Ethan says, looking up at me.

I ruffle his hair a little just to mess with him. "Hey, D-Derek!" he says, while trying to fix his hair. "Well, see you to tonight!" I yell, hurrying to my next class. I can't wait..