vii. Hate you

Season one, chapter seven

"Loving you had consequences"

ATHENA WAS AWARE of Mun's diligent efforts, as he tirelessly trained without taking breaks. Observing this was slightly concerning, yet Thea could empathize as she had gone through a similar experience when she initially joined the team.

However, in contrast to Mun, Thea had a significant burden placed on her shoulders at a very early stage in life; she was merely a child when this situation unfolded. The memory of her extreme fear upon awakening from a precisely five-month coma, still lingers in her mind. At first, she doubted the doctors' words upon regaining consciousness, but soon enough, she experienced the truth firsthand as she accepted the abilities granted to her by Hyun-ki, whom she fondly refers to as her guardian angel.

Initially, she faced immense challenges in adapting to her unfamiliar surroundings among total strangers, who were not her kin. This led her to weep incessantly for the loved ones she had lost. Although the group offered solace, they inadvertently made her feel inept and excessively emotional. However, these unfavorable encounters ultimately proved to be mere hurdles misplaced on her journey.

Ultimately, she eventually came to terms with the tragedy of losing her family and concealed that painful reminiscence deep within her heart. Even though she has managed to move on, discussing it remains difficult as the pain still lingers. Memories of her once beautiful family, now tucked away in her heart but forgotten by her mind, continue to haunt her. Only the negative and sorrowful memories persistently invade her thoughts, as there is no one else capable of helping her erase her traumatic past.

Thea sat alone on the isolated bench in the midst of the dim and chilly night, keeping one hand nestled inside the pocket of her gray jacket while firmly gripping a small carton of juice she had recently purchased. In the chilling air, her flowing curls swayed to the side, and she shivered momentarily before releasing a lengthy sigh of exhaustion.

She was fatigued by her current existence, indeed she was, but it now fell upon her to safeguard individuals from those malevolent entities, even if it resulted in sacrificing her own life, that was the cautionary message conveyed by Wi-gen, and Thea willingly embraced it, without any hesitation, as there was nothing significant remaining in her life that compelled her to stay.

"It's really pleasant to be able to appreciate evenings like this," she mused to herself, gazing at the scenery before her. "Sipping on a juice box and relishing the sight, although it would have been more enjoyable if it were alcohol."

She let out another deep breath, taking a small sip of the juice through the narrow straw. However, her action ceased when she noticed that there was no longer any liquid remaining in it. Thea grabbed the tiny straw and skillfully twisted it into the shape of a heart, hoping it would somehow improve her emotional state.