1

March,2023
I sat in my king sized bed, scrolling on my phone and sighed Another highschool classmate of mine married and another 5 with children on the way. I had learned very early on that relationships aren't for me. That didn't stop my heart from yearning for romantic company.
I stretched and began to take tighten my scarf that was loosely on my head from my wild sleeping. I gathered my bohemian butt length knotless braids into a low bun. I walked into my closet and picked out my outfit for the day. Something simple and comfortable to run errands. I washed my face before getting into the shower, first song on the playlist was Spin Bout You by Drake and 21.
I got out the shower and checked my phone. I seen a missed Facetime call from my best friend, Paris. We've been friends since highschool and one of the only people I knew that lived near me. I pressed her contact and set the phone down on the sink counter as it rang. I hear the jingle and I see her face in the camera and she driving.
" Girl did you see Kayla and Houston are getting MARRIED?" She exclaimed, eyes widening emphasizing the word Married.
" Yeah I seen it. I kind of expected it. They've been together since the 10th grade" I shrugged. I began to dry my body off and squirted lotion in my hand. I rubbed my hands
" They invited us ALL to their wedding." She said and I paused rubbing lotion on my leg slowly, squinting my eyes in suspicion even though she couldn't see me.
" All? Who do you mean by all?" I said confused. I already knew we'd be invited. We were all the best of friends in highschool and some of college. We still even talked from time to time. I rubbed the rest of the lotion into the rest of my body and began to put on my undergarments.
" You know... our highschool classmates. You know Houston was pretty much known among us and whoever didn't know Houston knew Kayla" I seen her turn as I shimmied my clothes. We had a small class of maybe 150. I knew she didn't mean the whole group we graduated with. Just the important people to Kayla and Houston:their friends and that dimmed it down to around 20 people.  I heard Paris hang up the phone and then there was a knock on the door. I rolled my eyes and walked to let Paris in. I opened the door
" Why don't you just use the key I gave you?" I said letting her in.
" It's for emergencies. I dont want to lose it" She said flopping on my couch and pulling out skittles from her purse.
" Where's the wedding ceremony at again?" I asked. She just shook her head. " You really don't want to know" she said chewing and scrolling on her phone." Well I really want to know now"
She raises her eyebrows and shows me the invitation. On it, it states "Come join Kayla and Houston in this month long ceremony at Beaux's Lodge"
" A month long? They rented a lodge for a month? Sounds like a vacation to me" I said shrugging my shoulders.
" You don't care that it's Beaux's and he's going to be there?" She said a little concerned."No, we are grown adults now and Im not letting a situation from almost 10 years ago affect whether I attend one of my best friend's wedding ceremony or not" I said once again shrugging.
" Are you ready to go to target? I need a swim suit. Hopefully this lodge has a pool."
Word Count :616
Hey Guys it's your author here. It might be a slow start in the beginning just because i hate stories with no background and this is going to start slow and then speed up and at the peak of the story there's going to be flashbacks so pay attention to the time stamps at the top so you aren't confused. Also this is a Black man x black woman story. They went to a school in the inner city so most of the characters are going to be people of color. My girl Aneyrah attended an HBCU. She is on the lanky, skinny side standing at 6'0. She is based of me. This is a Pro POC environment. I will not tolerate any disrespect of any sort to anybody or any group of people. Beaux is black. It's pronounced Bow. like a Hair bow.