We Need To Talk

Tomorrow is the first day of summer and my absolute favourite time of year. My excitement courses through my veins to the point where I cannot sleep. I glance to the clock on my bedside table and sure enough it's one in the morning. So technically I guess it really is the first day of summer.

At exactly 8 am my mom, me, Steven, and Belly will pile into the car and drive the few hours it takes to get to Cousins beach. That's where the fun will start, and the memories will get made.

Belly is still obsessing over Conrad and I'm almost positive that any summer now they'll confess their feelings for each other. Me and Steven tease her all the time but I actually think it's sweet.

If Jeremiah ever looked at me the way-

I stop myself from letting my mind wander any further. Me and Jeremiah are best friends. I can't be thinking about him that way.

Ever since we were little, we were closer than the rest of the group. While everyone ran for the ice cream truck, the two of us would sit on the beach and talk. Throughout the years I've definitely developed feelings for him. The only one who knows is Belly and I want it to stay that way. Our friendship is worth more.

I must have eventually drifted off to sleep because when I woke up it was nine in the morning.

I scrambled out of bed and raced down the stairs. I was an hour late, and I didn't want to waist even a second in getting to Cousins.

" Mom!" I shout as I walk down the stairs. I walk past Belly's closed door, which means she also slept in.

" Hi sweetie" my mom says. She's sitting with her newspaper open in the kitchen. In no rush to go anywhere.

" Are you the only one up?" I ask looking around frantically.

" Have you looked outside?" My mom asks raising an eyebrow. Just as the words leave her lips a loud clap of thunder radiates through the home.

" There's a tornado warning and the roads are unsafe. We'll just have to leave tomorrow" she sighs giving me a knowing look.

" Susannah and the boys said it's raining there too, so it's not like you kids would have been able to go swimming anyway" she says.

" Oh okay" I say smiling to hide my disappointment.

I head back to my room and close my door.

Jere🤍: heard you guys won't be here until tomorrow:(

Mia: I knowwww I'm so upset

Jere🤍: I'll just have to annoy you twice as much

Mia: your already annoying me through my phone screen

I text Jeremiah for a half an hour. We talk about our plans for the summer and what we've been up to at home, movies we should watch, and places we should go.

By the time I hear belly's bedroom door open it's late afternoon.

" Bells" I smile stepping into her room and plopping myself down on the edge of her bed.

" Hey Mia" she yawns.

" Ooh late night?" I ask. Belly never gets up this late.

" Mhm I was talking to Conrad until three in the morning" she smiles sheepishly.

" Stop it! No you were not!" I laugh playfully hitting her knee.

" If you don't tell him this summer I'm going to tell him for you" I joke laying down beside her.