Science fiction : Neural link

A young girl, not more than 20 years old, looked at her own reflection on the water as she stood on the bridge of the water body that was neither a river nor a lake. It was a huge gorge, perhaps formed millions of years ago and it was fed by the river that flowed next to it. And there, under the clear blue sky she looked at her own reflection and wondered. About many things perhaps!

Then all of a sudden she lifted her head and as she turned left, she started walking towards the right end of the bridge. Leaving behind the gorge and the water trapped in it. Unable to find its way out because after taking a deep look at the gorge and its water, it was difficult to tell how the water from the river flowed or seeped into this gorge, and I am sure even the water trapped in the gorge was clueless about it.

But for now, my attention was neither the gorge nor the water held hostage by the rock solid confinements of the gorge, whose steadiness and foundational strength had been tested by time for more than a million years now. I was more interested in the young girl who had been staring at her own reflection. I was more interested in knowing who she is and how she got here. But from the look in her face I could tell that she was clueless about her own existence because when she looked at the reflection cast on the still water, she seemed to search for something in that reflection, as if it were her own identity that she had been seeking in this reflection. Her own face seemed to remind her of nothing and no one, but the frown on her forehead and the contours on her face confirmed one thing: she was seeking answers herself, and if my guess is not wrong, about her own self.

So, here I am following her in the gorge and I have been following her for 6 months now, when I first saw her in my town, where I had ventured out on one cloudy afternoon, and when it rained I ran to seek refuge under an oak tree. She was already there looking at the rain drops as they fell from the sky and hit the ground, producing hundreds of mini splashes that had stained her lower end of the trouser with black spots. And she was not bothered about these black stains, she was enjoying the raindrops and the wet view, where everything had transformed into a water kingdom like fantasy. As I settled on the opposite side of the tree trunk, she noticed my arrival from the squelching sound produced by my shoes as I sped past the wet and damp ground.

She was least interested in me, her only interest as of now was the rain, and under the century old oak tree I was the only one not interested in the rain drops. I was more interested in her, though it was my first visual contact with her, and I stood on the opposite side of the tree trunk, yet I felt attracted towards her. Being drawn towards her by the senses of curiosity bearing the feelings of admiration for someone who looked very much like a human being but there was something very different in her that told me she was more than a human being. Of course, I was not thinking of her to be an alien or a beautiful being from the kingdom of fairies. But the energy around the tree trunk was different and I wanted to know why it was so, and to know that, I felt compelled to know who she was.

So, I decided to cover the semi-circular distance to come face to face with her. I did so, but, when I reached there, she had disappeared. As I looked around, she had reached the main road and was walking hurriedly. And my desire to know her made me forsake the leafy umbrella of the grand oak tree and I began following her.

I must have followed her for 20 minutes, when she took a left turn, and entered a narrow, old, forsaken lane. She must have walked ten meters or so, she looked around, then lifted the lid of a manhole, and carefully got into it and closed the cast iron lid.

So, she definitely was not an alien, she was not a fairy from the kingdom of fairies, but I had a reason now to believe that she is someone from the underworld.