28: FLETCHER

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

There's a reason I chose the pancake place. It's food we both like, plus it's usually quiet around this time of day. People usually come in for dinner rather than lunch, and they do all kinds of pancakes from ridiculously chocolate pancakes to savoury English breakfast pancakes. It's also better than a romantic vibe for this kind of discussion, but also just busy enough that people won't come after me.

She's ordered a 'chocoholic' pancake stack, while I've gone for the Nutella and strawberry one. Somehow, I don't know if I'll have the stomach for too much today. I order a cup of tea for myself, while Adelaide goes for an orange juice.

"So, I read another chapter," she says. "I like so far that you've gone for the lust angle rather than have Adam falling for the new guy straight away. Especially after his heart was broken by Jessica. The way you've made Adam confused about his feelings, but you make it clear to the reader that it's lust... I like it."

"I thought it was more realistic, especially having him confused."

The waitress brings over drinks, thankfully ignoring me after I only give her a small smile back. She clearly recognises me and wants a signature or something. Probably a selfie, but she seems to get the message.

"It feels realistic. After you left...it was strange. I don't wanna get too much into Sam just yet, but I always knew with him it was purely sex. There were a couple of other women, after. There was one who I wasn't sure whether it was lust or a want for something more. Then I met Sophia. I was so confused. She was so gentle, kind and interested. After Sam and the other girls, it was this strange question of is this lust or love? For a while, while Sophia and I were dating, I was honest about it with her. It did turn out to be love. Full-on, in love, hits you like a fucking brick love, but it took me a while to understand that because the only other experience I had in that field was Harrison and you. I'd never fallen in love properly with a girl, and because the feeling was so similar, it confused me."

My hand reaches across the table to squeeze hers. It feels right, like the last puzzle piece is fitting in.

"What was Sophia like? I mean, you gave me the basics in the bank, but you gloss over her. Is it on purpose? I don't know whether it's okay to ask about her," I admit.

She shrugs. "I think I'm still raw. Sometimes it's okay to ask, sometimes it's not. Just ask and I'll either say not now or give you an answer. Right now, it's fine." She sips her juice. "Sophia was...amazing. She was a vet, so she was naturally this kind-hearted, almost hippie spirit. Sophia was like the light of the party, you know? Free-spirited, made everyone smile, and everyone always gravitated to her. I don't know if you know Harrison enough yet, but she reminded me of him in this sort of light way. The love we had was intense but so chill."