Rani Durgavati

In the heart of Kalinjar, on an October morn,
A warrior queen, Durgavati, was born.
With valour in her veins and fire in her eyes,
She rose like a phoenix, touching the skies.

Married to Dalpat, a royal alliance was made,
Together they ruled, their destinies laid.
But fate took Dalpat, leaving her to reign,
A queen with a heart that knew not pain.

She moved her capital to Chauragarh’s height,
Strategic and bold, she prepared for the fight.
The Mughals approached, a formidable force,
But Durgavati stood, unwavering in course.

The Birth of a Warrior Queen

In the year 1524, on a crisp October morning, the fortress of Kalinjar witnessed an extraordinary event. Inside the grand palace, the wife of King Shalivahan gave birth to a daughter. They named her Durgavati, a name that would soon resonate throughout history.

King Shalivahan held the newborn princess gently. "She has the fire of our ancestors in her eyes," he murmured to his wife. "Our little Durgavati will bring glory to the Chandelas."

Durgavati was born into a family of Chandela Rajputs, a lineage of warriors known for their valour and resilience. From her earliest days, she was surrounded by tales of brave deeds and a legacy of defending their kingdom. Little did anyone know that this young princess would one day become the fearless defender of her realm.

A Royal Alliance

As Durgavati grew, her destiny took a dramatic turn. In 1542, she was married to Dalpat Shah, the son of King Sangram Shah of the Garha Kingdom. This marriage wasn't just a union of two individuals; it formed a powerful alliance between the Chandelas of Mahoba and the Rajgonds of the Garha-Mandla dynasties.

On their wedding day, Dalpat Shah took Durgavati's hand. "Together, we will strengthen our kingdoms," he promised. "Our people will prosper under our rule."

Durgavati smiled, sensing the depth of their bond. "With you, I feel we can face any challenge," she replied.

This alliance was more than a political move; it was a bond forged in loyalty and mutual respect. Durgavati and Dalpat Shah became partners in life and rulers of their respective realms.

The Rise of a Queen

Tragedy struck in the year 1550 when Dalpat Shah passed away, leaving a young son named Vir Narayan. In the face of adversity, Durgavati rose to the occasion, taking the reins of the Gondwana kingdom. Supported by her trusted advisors, Diwan Adhar Kayastha and Minister Man Thakur, she set out to rule with wisdom and compassion.

One evening, Diwan Adhar Kayastha approached her. "Your Highness, the people look to you for guidance. They believe in your strength."

Durgavati nodded solemnly. "I will not fail them, Diwan. We will rule justly and ensure prosperity for all."

Durgavati was not a mere caretaker; she was a visionary leader who promoted peace, trade, and goodwill throughout her kingdom. Her reign was marked by progress and prosperity, and her people revered her as a just and benevolent queen.

A Strategic Move

Understanding the importance of strategic positioning, Queen Durgavati made a bold decision to move her capital. She shifted it from Singorgarh Fort to the formidable Chauragarh Fort, perched atop the Satpura hill range. This move demonstrated her astute understanding of the geographical advantages that Chauragarh offered for the defence of her kingdom.