31: ADELAIDE

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

Ever since I can remember, I've hated summer. It's overrated, too hot, and boring. I'd rather be cold, wrapped up in a blanket in autumn or winter. As soon as September hits, it turns chilly and you get hot chocolates, the smell of pumpkin spice and Christmas, it's snow and ice, knitted jumpers and boots. Autumn and winter are magic.

When Fletcher touches me, it sets off the spark, but as we deepen this kiss that started off gently, this is magic. It's Disney magic and Christmas magic all at once, it's the fifth of November fireworks and the first pumpkin spice latte of the season. It's everything.

His tongue is lapping faster, desperate to never let go, and his hands are tightening around my waist. My arms pull him closer, but he can't be any closer, not now. It's like the start of the kiss was a reunion, and now it's just the magic and true love's kiss that will break the evil spell cast over us.

I break away to breathe. Fletch's lips glisten with the aftermath of our kiss, and a smile graces his lips after a small pout from us being apart.

"I need to breathe," I whisper.

He presses his forehead to mine. "What... what does this mean?"

I take a breath before gripping his shirt again. Somehow, I can't seem to let go of him; he's the anchor in this very crazy, complete whirlwind of a life right now. How did I not see this before?

"It means—" I take another breath. "That I love you, too, Fletcher. In a way, it's always been you. Sophia was something else, but if you take her out of the equation, it's always been you. Always."

He sips his drink, clearly unsure where this leaves us. With every part of me, I want to kiss him again, but I know I need to air stuff before I go back in. Once I kiss him again, there will be no going back. I need him, want him, and I think I'm in love with him.

Is it too early for that? I don't know, because I think I've always been in love with him.

"I'm still getting over Sophia's death; it...it's scarred me. The heist and everything it's taking time to heal from, but with you I feel safe and loved. But not just in the romantic sense, I feel loved in the protected way." I rub my head, trying to find the words. "I guess like the lotus, right? It means so many different things. I kind of feel like you have multiple meanings for me. Healing, love, friendship. It's finally become clear."

He gives me a small laugh; it's an awkward yet happy one. "I feel the same about you."

"The time we spent in the bank, it's weird, but I feel like you were the only one who really understood everything I said. Sophia sort of told me I was a victim of circumstance, but I don't think she quite got it. Harrison's always been in Australia, so although he helped me through it at the time, but he wasn't here, you know? And that's not his fault, but yeah." I sit on the chair. "Despite me being the worst person to you, you listened to me and made me feel listened to. I've had two constants I've ever had in my life is Harry and you. Despite the outward hatred I've said I've had, it's not really, let's face it. You kept me going in my mind in the darkest moments; imagining your brother was you, thinking back to the good times, and when Sophia died... it's been you in my head."