04| 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘊𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘵

As I stood at the top of the stairs, I could feel the weight of their expectations on my shoulders

As I stood at the top of the stairs, I could feel the weight of their expectations on my shoulders. The maid's words echoed in my mind, urging me to dress up well. But today, I decided to defy their expectations. I chose not to conform to their standards of beauty. No heavy makeup, no extravagant jewelry. I wanted them to see me for who I truly am.

With each step I took, I could sense their eyes on me. The room fell silent, their whispers fading into the background. I locked eyes with each and every one of them, daring them to judge me. Today, I would challenge their preconceived notions.

As I descended the stairs, I could feel their gazes intensify. The elderly man, who had visited the palace before, smiled warmly at me. I couldn't help but return his gesture. Something within me compelled me to approach him. I knelt down, allowing him to bless me, his gentle touch caressing my hair.

“Aap yahan?” I asked him, my voice filled with surprise.

He chuckled lightly and replied, “I liked you so much that I wanted to make you my daughter.”

I sighed inwardly, feeling a mix of emotions. Here, my own father doesn't care about me, and now a stranger I met just two days ago wants to make me his daughter.

As I looked around, I could sense everyone's gaze on me, especially those captivating hazel eyes. He was tall and had broad shoulders, effortlessly handsome. But behind his appearance, I could see the loneliness in his eyes, and he looked at me with a range of emotions.

I couldn't bear to meet his gaze, feeling as though he could read my thoughts just by looking into my eyes.

“You're very beautiful, my child.” The woman sitting next to the elderly man said.

No, no, I'm not beautiful.” I thought to myself.

I smiled at her and humbly bent down to touch her feet.

“She is my daughter, Aadrika.” My step-mother proudly announced.

I snapped my head towards her, my jaw dropping to the floor in shock.

I could feel the laughter being held back by the four youngsters who were witnessing the scene.

Quickly regaining my composure, I closed my mouth and composed myself.

“Come here, my child, and sit.” Another woman said kindly.

I smiled at her and walked towards her, intending to touch her feet as a sign of respect. However, she stopped me and said, “I don't let my daughters touch my feet.”