Chapter 1

Run. Run. Run. Run.

I repeat these words in my head over and over again as my survival instincts kick in. My little brother? Gone. My parents? Gone. Everything gone in a blink of an eye. Everything gone when that wall came crashing down.

They said the walls would keep us safe. They said that they weren't really a threat. They said that they would do nothing more than scratch at the walls. After all, they haven't gotten in for centuries, have they?

Lies.

All it took was a flick of the wrist from that ... thing, and the walls came crumbling down. Like a child knocking over a small stack of blocks. Those walls were good at one thing, however. They were good at keeping us in like fish in a barrel while everything we knew was decimated.

I feel my legs on fire now, but I can't stop running. I have to survive. If I don't survive, what would it have all been for? I pick up the pace, seeing the docks within sight now. The only hope is to go further in. I reach the docks, and I shove past panicking people into a jam-packed boat. I try not to notice the faces of crying children, and the panicked parents who look desperately around the docks.

Lucky. That's how I should be feeling right now. But am I the lucky one? Or am I just the only one left?