Everything smells like flowers

Carlos stared out the window, his face in his hands and his brown hair waving in the gentle breeze. He looked around the room, seeing the multitude of flowers scattered around the house. Each one with a special meaning, with its own subtle and enchanting beauty. It was not uncommon for the brunette to get lost in the infinity of colors, shapes, and difficult names that Anita always insisted on teaching him.

It was always adorable his love devotion to the flowers, the way the big light green eyes sparkled, the way she smiled when she saw them bloom, and the way their scent mingled with his.

Every room in the small apartment was intoxicated by the scent of Anita's precious flowers and anyone could see that, but only Carlos could smell his little love's scent mixed with them.

She taught him to take care of them and do what she could no longer do.

Of all the flowers Anita grew, her favorites were the violets, the only ones he took the trouble to care for to the end. She always stayed by the window in the morning so that the flowers could be touched by the first rays of sunlight of the day.

And Anita always joined them, letting the nice heat of the morning invigorate her senses while she sipped her tea. Carlos sometimes dared to interrupt Anitas's morning contemplation moments by kissing her lips and whispering in his ear how much he loved her.

Maybe it wasn't mentioned, but Anita lived among the flowers so much that Carlos came to believe he was one of them.

And like a flower, Anita was slowly dying up, weakening more and more. The vitality seemed to drain from her and Carlos despaired, as there was no love in the world capable of curing Anita.

And when he refused to spend his final months in a hospital room wired up and suffering from heavy medication, Carlos proposed to her amid their faithful witnesses.

In that blue sky morning, there was no flower more beautiful than Anita wrapped in the soft aroma of her companions. Smiles, racing hearts. From here comes the most awaited 'yes' of the brunette's life along with a deep kiss full of love.

In the impromptu vows, Carlos promised to love him forever, and so did Anita. Wherever he is.

There were those moments when Carolos would sit by the window and ask the violets if they missed him too.

Moments when Carlo's eyes lost their sparkle as he remembered that the next morning Anita won't be sitting at the window sipping her tea. Moments when the longing is so great that it doesn't seem to fit in your chest and that hurts you more than anything.

And even though he's sure he will wake up alone amid his scent, Carlos is also sure that wherever he is, Anita loves him for as long as she can.

Because when true love blossoms, it remains.