Chapter 1

First thing I heard waking up was my phone ringing in my ear and not my daily six o'clock morning alarm. It doesn't take me long to get ready, from the shower to my first coffee at home, I love to dress well mostly because people tend to take me more seriously as a women when I do. I only have my gold necklace, which I never take off and my hair are practically always up when I'm on the job. A perk of living alone is to not talk to anyone for the first several minutes after I wake up, because, hell, I would rather eat soap than do so. My boyfriend, James, and I usually text each other around lunch hours to decide when and where will see each other the same day or less likely the day after. Some days, I end up sleeping at his place, but rare are the times when we stay at mine. Right when I lock my door behind me, I open my messages and see that Moreno has left a message on our team's group chat about Hamilton and him being stuck on a suicide case since last night. Amita already answered:

"I've already got something for you when you'll be over with that one"

And Hamilton kept it short:

"Might take a nap in between"

I reply by letting them know that I'm heading on a murder scene right know realizing that I'll be quite alone for it since nobody's gonna show up.

I get out of my SUV and walk my way to the crime scene. There is only one witness, a woman who is currently sitting with a paramedic, well dressed, in her twenties. The uniform at the front of the building gives me proper indication as of where the crime scene is located. I walk my way up to the fifth floor, which is the last one, the staircase is quiet, the walls are painted in a broken white and big windows on every floor make the space quite luminous. The first person I see when I get inside the appartement is Emily, the legal doctor on most of my cases, which is always a surprise because she only gets out of the lab and of her white coat when they're short staffed. We met about two years ago when she started working for the local forensics and it didn't take a second for us to become friends with each other.

Today, she's dressed in a grey suit that goes perfectly with her long black braided hair, shiny as always. The only thing not going with her style are the blue latex gloves clashing from her pale skin.

-Hey, Em!

-Hey, are we waiting for the rest of the team?

-No, the boys got caught on a suicide last night and Amita's busy for now.

-Okay. So, the victim is Nathan Oak, 22 years old, papers were on him. He died about 6 to 8 hours ago, which would put the death in between 11pm and 1am.

She hands me his wallet as she keep on giving me general informations I need to know about; credit card is still there with about two hundred dollars and his Harvard student ID.

-He was shot once in the head with a large caliber bullet, and I'd say the shooter would have had to be very close from him.

-A suicide?

-I don't think so, no, but let me get him to the lab. The wounds didn't bleed as much as I would expect it to...

-Okay, let me know when you have more.

She walk out of the scene to get her camera as I squat down beside the corpse. My focus is entirely on him. He's a young man with blond hair and facial trait that are soft but serious, wearing a black-tie suit. From the Rolex still on his person to the Harvard tuition, he most certainly is coming from money. More about the look of the apartment.

As I am completely focused, a hand drops on my shoulder, scaring the hell out of me. I get up, turn around and lift my head over to the man now in front of me.