-

It was September the first. It hadn't quite sunk in for Remus, that he would get to go to Hogwarts, like any other wizard. Well, a wizard with a little problem.

It was a stretch to call it a 'little problem' — it was more of a major one, really.

"This shapes your whole life," As Dumbledore had kindly placed it, when he had visited a couple of months ago. Remus had been a werewolf for ages now, (since he was five, to be precise), he hadn't thought any school would take a kid like him. It worried him, what if he hurt the other students? There were so many people everywhere.

Just like here, at King's Cross, where he was boarding the Hogwarts Express. Walking down the carriage, he found an empty compartment and sat down.

He was a little early, and not too many people had boarded the train yet, preferring to stay at the platform. Remus was perfectly content in sitting alone, watching kids run around the station, meeting their school friends or tearfully parting with their family.

But he wasn't alone for long.

The compartment door slid open, and in came a boisterous boy, a smile stretched from ear to ear.

He caught sight of Remus, and if it was possible, his grin grew wider, hazel eyes gleaming behind his glasses.

"Are you a first year too?" Remus nodded, feeling a bit alarmed. He hadn't expected a person to come and actually talk to him.

The boy sat in front of Remus without any invitation. He had an air of wealth, through his ironed robes and posture. But he didn't seem too posh, because his hair was extremely messy and tie a bit askew.

"I'm James," The boy said, it was like he was unable to stop smiling. "James Potter," he held out his hand in a handshake.

Remus blinked. Was everyone like this? After a moment, he politely smiled and shook the boy's hand, wishing he would just leave him alone. But James seemed to be eager to keep the conversation going.

"It's a bit exciting, isn't it?" He lay back in his seat and ran a hand through his messy hair, "I can't wait to see the castle, d'you reckon there are actual ghosts?" He laughed, a warm, kind noise. "Dad says that all the houses have a head ghost or something, and I've never seen a ghost— so that would be quite—"

The compartment door had opened again, and Remus had to stop himself from letting out a sigh of relief.

But unfortunately, it seemed that James recognized the person that walked through. Because his smile grew even bigger (how is it even possible?).

"Pete!" James cheerfully stood up, and clapped a hand on the mousy boy's back. James turned back to Remus.

"This is Peter," He gestured towards the boy, who was about a foot smaller than James. "We grew up together, so I know him really well,"

Remus nodded, not trusting himself to speak.

He looked at Peter, who was looking anywhere but at Remus. He was quite mousy, wide eyes flitting around the room like all he wanted to do was escape.

James grinned again, "You never told us your name," he led Peter towards a seat, and sat next to him. "You're a bit quiet, aren't you?"

Remus didn't know what to respond with. Was that a compliment? It's not like he didn't want a friend, he just didn't want all the complications that followed.
Remus had preferred to stay solo, due to his little problem. It's better to be safe than sorry, which was his motto.

Just as he said, "I'm Remus, Remus Lupin," the compartment door opened again. A boy with shaggy black hair and safety pins on his jacket flopped onto the seat across from him. The boy looked up at Remus and smiled slyly. His stormy grey eyes glinted mischievously.

"Hi."

"Hi."