42.

Walking back home that night was excruciatingly long for the brunette. It was as if the world was spinning in slow motion and time had stopped, Stiles remaining the only thing in motion. He was determined to make everything right again but at the same time, he was dreading the moment he'd see his wolf again. 

What if it was too late?

What if Derek had changed his mind just like Stiles had?

What if he opened his eyes and realised that Stiles wasn't the one for him anymore? 

All these stupid thoughts clouded his mind the entire way there, until finally, the house came into sight and just like the first time he arrived here, Stiles was left stunned by its beauty. This house was incredibly magnificent. No matter if he'd known who resided in this house, Stiles was sure he would've felt it anyway. The power of the owners. Stiles could feel it by one glance. 

It took some time for him to finally walk again and reach the house. He stopped at the porch and, looking down, the brunette felt like it was a challenge in itself to walk up those few steps up the porch. But, shaking his apprehension away as much as he could, it was with clammy hands that he walked up those steps and reached the front door. 

Upon opening the door and entering the house, it was like Stiles was breathing again. And at that moment, he took a minute to appreciate that warm feeling spreading inside his chest as he finally came back home. The brunette could smell the delicious dinner that Talia was cooking and hearing the pack talking in the kitchen. So, without wasting any more time, he headed that way. 

The moment he walked in, Stiles knew they had been waiting for him. 

They had all known he was inside the house and they had all patiently waited for him to come to them. And yet, they all still faked surprise upon seeing his face again after over a week. It was Cora who reached him first. She jumped into his arms and started crying. Stiles felt bad. He hadn't thought that leaving as he had would've hurt more than just Derek. 

It took a while for Cora to calm down and when she finally stopped crying, it was Mia, Waylen and Asher's turn. They hugged the brunette tightly and had a hard time letting go of him. Stiles could see that a few faces were missing. Peter, Connor, Eviana and Derek were nowhere to be seen. And Stiles frowned. Because the one he had come back to see wasn't there. And it only intensified the voices inside his head telling him he was too late. 

That Derek didn't care. 

"We told Derek to take a walk." Talia told him as she took him in her arms. She had seen right through him, as always. It annoyed Stiles sometimes as he didn’t want his every thought to be analysed and read by the woman but sometimes, like tonight, Stiles didn’t mind as much. "When I told him you would come back today, he couldn't control himself. He had been in and out of control this past week but today was the worst, so we told him to go and calm his mind before coming back to talk things out with you." she explained and even though Stiles didn't say a word, she could smell the relief in his scent. 

She had soothed his worries.

"I made your favourite." Talia said after a while as she stirred the sauce inside the pan. A pressure cooker was placed on the side, slowly cooking whatever was inside it while Laura was checking on a cake inside the fridge. "And Laura baked a cake." 

"You shouldn't have." 

He felt extremely awkward. 

As if he had lost his marks. 

He didn't know how to behave anymore. Especially after what had happened. He wasn't sure if he could still act the way he had all this time. Somehow, there was a feeling deep down his chest that made him feel as if he had betrayed them all.