09| 𝘐 𝘛𝘳𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘠𝘰𝘶

“My client is innocent, my lord

“My client is innocent, my lord.”  The defending lawyer yelled.

“It is truly astonishing, Mr. Gupta, that you continue to support a criminal while fabricating false allegations against my client. Your honor, I assure you that I do not speak without evidence, as I have already submitted all the necessary proofs to support my client's innocence.” I declared with a composed yet resolute tone.

“However, it is important to note, your honor, that there have been numerous allegations made against the victim as well. According to the FIR, the victim has been accused of engaging in multiple affairs and seducing wealthy men through provocative attire.” Mr. Gupta stated, causing my blood to boil.

“I must object, your honor, Are we to believe that a person's clothing is the cause of such heinous acts? Why then, were elderly women and even 11-month-old infants subjected to rape? Answer me, Mr. Gupta! The issue lies not in what a woman wears, but rather in the repugnant mindset of individuals like yourself. A woman who wears a burkha is just as much a survivor of acid attacks as one who wears a saree. In fact, 80% of acid attack victims in India are women, and men are not exempt from such atrocities. The problem is not gender or clothing; you are simply favoring your client due to a handful of ill-gotten wealth. I will not tolerate any further derogatory remarks about my client, and I caution you against making baseless allegations, as I have the power to hold you accountable for your words.” I stated through gritted teeth.

Silence filled the courtroom, as no one had anything left to say.

“Now, does the defending lawyer have any further comments on behalf of his client?” the judge inquired.

“The honorable court has reached a decisive conclusion after reviewing Mr. Malhotra's compelling evidence that Ritesh Tiwari and his accomplices, Akash Ahuja and Sameer Tolani, were responsible for the acid attack on Erica Mary. Section 326A of the IPC stipulates a minimum sentence of 10 years for causing harm through acid attacks, extendable to life imprisonment, and a suitable fine to cover medical treatment expenses.” The judge's verdict resounded through the courtroom.

The sounds of Erica, her parents, and Ananya weeping filled the air. Ananya, too, was a survivor of an acid attack. She advocates for fellow survivors and has been supported by someone who works tirelessly to provide them with financial independence. A year ago, they founded an NGO for this exact purpose. I inquired about the mysterious woman running the NGO from Ananya, who replied, “My di wouldn't appreciate it if I disclosed her identity. When God wills it, you two shall meet.”

“Thank you, Your Honor, for upholding justice.” I expressed my gratitude to the judge, leading to a resounding round of applause in the courtroom. The attendees began to cheer my name.

Approaching Erica, I encouraged her, “Do not give up on your dreams.”

“Thank you so much, sir. I am truly grateful to you.” She replied tearfully.