Chapter 49 - A date interrupted

Kat

Dustin is dull. He texts me later in the week and asks to meet up for a coffee. He's very polite and correct in his messages so I accept and we make plans to grab a coffee at Dirty on Thursday.

I try to put some effort into my appearance. I choose a nice dress and do my make-up and hair while Morgan glares at me and tells me my plan is stupid.

"I know it is," I finally say, exasperated. "But what am I supposed to do?"

"What you're supposed to do is be with Brick, that's what." She slams her tablet onto the bed beside her.

I close my eyes. "Don't you think I would be if I could?"

"Captains don't even have that much power. I think JD was bluffing."

"Are you willing to bet Brick's future on that?"

She grumbles but doesn't answer. So I take a last look in the mirror and hope I was able to conceal the dark circles under my eyes.

"I'll see you later," I say and grab my jacket.

"I'd tell you to have fun, but I'm against this."

"I know." I smile at her and leave the room.

It's a short walk to Dirty, but the air is chilly and I'm glad I have leggings and winter boots. Maybe it won't be so bad. Dustin could be a nice enough person.

I arrive at the coffee shop and spot him immediately. My smile freezes as I realize he's a boy. He must be about my age, but he looks so young.

"Katherine," he comes up to me. "Can I call you Kat?"

I nod. "Everyone else does."

"Please, have a seat. I'll get you a drink. What do you want?"

I sit down where he so eagerly stears me and gives him my order. He hurries to the counter and I take a few moments to curse at myself for doing this. I should not be here. I don't want to be here. But the stakes are too high. So unless I can find a way to convince JD to leave Brick alone, it's all I can do.

"Here you are. I also got you a cookie." Dustin places his haul in front of me, and I smile up at him.

"So, Dustin, tell me about yourself."

"Well, I have three younger sisters and an older brother. I grew up on a farm that my older brother is going to inherit. Since I was always good at hockey, I managed to get a full scholarship to come here."

"Do you plan on playing professionally?"

He laughs. "No. I'm just glad it'll get me through UNI. I'm studying marketing. That's what I want to do. How about you?"

"Well, I just changed my major to biology. And you already know I have one brother." I flash him a smile. "I'm not really sure what else to say."

"That's ok, we can get to know each other slowly. By the way, I'm so sorry for your loss. JD told us about your grandmother."

"Thanks." I stare at the table.

"Let me know if there's anything I can do for you." He reaches out a hand and I inch mine away, so he won't touch me.

"Like what?" I'm not prepared for the booming voice behind me. My heart stops and panic and longing dance inside me, leaving me unable to move or speak.

"Oh, hey, Brick," Dustin says nervously. "What are you doing here?"

"What exactly do you think you can do for her?"

I slowly turn to look at him. He's standing with his arms crossed, shooting daggers at Dustin.

"Oh," Dustin says. "Well, I just meant if she needs a shoulder to cry on or something."

"She will not be crying on your shoulder. In fact, I suggest you never speak to her again."

I inhale sharply and force myself to stand on shaking legs. "That's not for you to decide," I say, but my voice is thick and strange.

He stares at me.

"Why didn't you tell me you were back?"

My heart breaks and I'm surprised there's not a puddle of broken pieces on the floor.

"Because I didn't want to," I say.

"That's a lie."

He looks angry.

"Listen, Brick. We're kind of having a date here." Dustin stands and tries to put an arm around me.

I step to the side. He's taking it too far. I can't let him touch me when the man I love looks like he might explode.

"A date?" Brick raises an eyebrow at me. "Does that mean you got what you wanted from me?"

If a wild boar tore me up, limb from limb, I doubt it would hurt any more.

"Yes," I say. It sounds more like a squeak, so I clear my throat. "I'm done with you." There's no way I can meet his eyes. I know he wants me to, but I'm staring at the untouched cookie on the table.

"You heard her," Dustin says and once again tries to put his arm around me. This time I let him. "She's with me now."

I gather enough courage to raise my eyes along Brick's chest until his eyes meet mine.

"You're lying," he says in a low voice. "You're lying to me, and I will figure out why."

I shake my head. "I'm not lying. I'm just done."

His jaw ticks and I'm aware that the entire coffeeshop has stopped to stare at us. He breathes heavily for a few breaths before he turns and walks out.

I shake Dustin's arm off me and sink back into my chair, certain I'd collapse into a heap otherwise.

"Practice is going to be awkward," Dustin says with a small laugh. "But Brick is a good guy. He'll get over it."

I shake my head. "You should probably stay away from him for a while."

He laughs. "From Brick? Do you know how many stories I've heard about him? He never gets mad. I think the only time he's ever been in a fight is on the ice or to defend a friend. He's only ever gotten mad once, that I know of. That was a few weeks ago when the guys were teasing him about this... girl." His voice trails off at the end and his eyes go wide. "Shit. You're kitten."

I flinch at the nickname.

"You are. You're the girl he almost beat up Liam over."

"What?" I furrow my brow at him.

"Yeah, Liam said some things about you he shouldn't have and Brick freaked. He threw him up against the wall and almost choked him. Shit, this is bad."

Brick was defending me? I can't condone the violence, but it still warms my heart. And makes me feel like shit for how I'm treating him now.