Chapter 4: Getting a Job

A/N

I realize I didn't address this in the previous chapter, but the house they had built was relatively small. It only has one floor with an entryway, a storage room on the left, a kitchen/dining room on the right, and then a washroom, and two bedrooms down a hallway. (the second bedroom was planned to be used as a second storage room by Alan, but he decided to keep it for William)

• • • • • William's POV (with a few thought bubbles from Alan)

I used an Iron Tail and smashed the target, splintering it into hundreds of pieces with a loud crack.

"Nice hit William!" Said Alan, as he put up another target, "Now try some special moves."

For this one I launched a Swift upwards before throwing three different Vacuum Waves at the target.

The Vacuum Waves all hit the target directly, weakening it for the follow up by the stars from my earlier Swift crashing down from above, causing the target to explode in a similar manner to the last.

"Four at once? Getting fancy are we Will?" Alan said with a sarcastic tone and smile.

It had been about six years since they'd started training, and they'd only grown closer as friends.

Alan had been working with William to help him learn as many moves as possible, including all the ones he'd just used, because he didn't feel any sort of extra strain from using more than four different moves, which was strange, but not the only weird thing about him.

Based on the moves he wasn't able to learn, their best guess on his typing was Psychic/Fighting.

I still haven't told you about how I ignored the screams of you and your siblings... I'll have to tell you at some point, but I just hope you're willing to let me stay as your friend after that.

"Nah, just testing how many of these I can manage to throw rapidly so when I do this in a real battle I'll know my limits." I replied, throwing another one at a piece of the target that was strangely left mostly intact.

Alan watched me destroy the last bit of the target, "So in other words," Alan said, turning back to me with a smug smirk, "You're starting to become a show off."

I shook my head at him, "I'm glad you've recovered some from your normal melancholy, but can you at least take our training more seriously?"

Alan looked down, "Just let me have this ok? I am trying to act more cheerful and stop thinking about them as much, but I do still have trouble with it now and then..." He doesn't need to know how much trouble... or how often I still have to go cry...

I let out a sigh and approached him, "I'm sorry," I gave him a hug, which caught him off guard, "I'll try not to be insensitive again."

"You don't need to apologize William... it's my turn now right?" He said as he pushed me off of him and took a battle stance in front of the stump we were using and waited for me to place a target.

What we were doing right now was actually completely unnecessary, but it did help us to feel like we were actually making progress, and compare how much we had grown from our training.

I had been getting stronger noticeably faster than Alan had, so, to my disappointment, we had to stop sparring on even ground and I would have to handicap myself by not flying, only using certain moves, and there was even a few times when I didn't use one of my arms.

We had assumed my rate of growth was due to my species being different to his and the fact that Alan had yet to evolve. Although it did feel like it was getting harder for me to improve, that had started happening a while ago but it was only now starting to make me feel frustrated.