16: the other woman

Natalia knew she needed distance from Javier, to not fall for him even more. So when he was very busy and stressed thanks to his new hotel for the next two days, it didn't really bother her.

In the morning he left the room before she woke up and when he came in the evening, Natalia acted as if she was already asleep. And since he was sleeping on the sofa, he didn't realize that she was just pretending.

She enjoyed her time in Vail. While Javier was busy with business, she went for walks in the forest and watched people skiing.

And every time she saw people skiing, she missed her family. They went skiing every winter, but she hadn't seen her family in years.

And when she saw a family with a toddler, she couldn't help but smile slightly. It was a little girl and her parents were teaching her to ski.

Natalia was wondering whether she and Javier would also teach their child to ski. But she wasn't even sure if Javier wanted to stay in touch with her after their baby was born.

So she got up again after just a few seconds. She didn't want people to think that she's weird stranger who watched parents and their kids for fun.

She recovered from her cold pretty quickly. Two days after the opening party she was no longer sick. Her throat still hurt a little but other than that all symptoms were gone.

And so, Javier finally wanted to fly back to Dallas. Natalia and Javier sat in his private jet on the way back to the hotel.

He stared at some folders and loose papers on the table in front of him and he looked really exhausted. "Are you okay?" she therefore asked him softly.

They hadn't spoken to each other in two days, since the night Javier had told her that he would do anything for her and beg her for forgiveness. But she didn't even know if he remembered it, since he was drunk.

"Ah, yes. I just need to catch up a bit since we stayed longer" he murmured, his gaze still fixed on the papers.

"You know we could've gone back to Dallas some days ago, right?" she asked him.

"No, I don't wanna risk our baby's health. And If today wouldn't be that stupid important event, I would have preferred to wait even a few more days to fly back" he replied.

Natalia just rolled her eyes and stared out of the window.

She knew that his work was very important to him. After all, he is a very successful man. His hotels have made him damn rich and she understands that that is his top priority. But she still wondered how he would be with their child. Will he even have time for their baby?

A few minutes passed before she started speaking again, "Do I have to work at this event tonight?"

He sighed once and closed the folder in front of him, "No, I want you to rest, okay?"

"I'm no longer sick, Javier" she replied.

"Still. Plus, there'll be people there that I don't want you to meet" he told her.

She stared at him confused. She wanted to ask him what he was talking about, but she didn't. She knew that this was none of her business.