17: dark paradise

Natalia regretted helping at today's event. Of course she wanted to support her friend, but it was damn unpleasant for her. She felt Javier and his -apparently ex-wife- Miranda's eyes on her all evening long.

After about two hours of doing nothing but serving champagne and being insulted by rich people, she felt herself getting a little dizzy.

Natalia put her hand on her stomach and took a short breath. Her morning sickness was actually long gone, why did it come back now - in the middle of the night?

Javier watched her almost the whole evening. He didn't want her here, because he knew that most people here wouldn't treat her well. Although he can probably count himself among them.

But when he saw that she closed her eyes for a second and put her hand on her stomach, he immediately became worried and walked towards her.

"Are you okay?" he whispered softly.

"Yeah, my stomach just hurts a little" she admitted.

"Okay, give me the tray, you're done here" Javier said sternly and took it from her hands.

"But I need to take over Mary's shift and don't want her to get into trouble if I leave"

"She won't, and I don't want you to work now, okay? It's late, go to sleep" he said softly.

Natalia noticed how the people around them were staring. It probably looked strange to them that he was holding the tray that she was supposed to carry around.

"Thank you, Sir. But is there.. Is there perhaps still a free room where I can sleep? I can't go back to my room and I have no idea where I should sleep tonight" she whispered.

Javier looked at her for a few seconds, "You can sleep in my office" he then offered.

"What? No I can't do that, Sir"

"It's okay. My house isn't far away, so I'll probably go home after the event anyway. You can grab some clothes to sleep in from the closet" he said and she just nodded.

"Okay, thank you" she mumbled. She wanted to be mad at Javier, about that whole wife/ex-wife thing. But if he told the truth, she shouldn't be mad at him. She can't blame him for hiding an ex-wife, when Natalie hid her pregnancy from him.

She knew she still had to talk to him, but now isn't a good time for that. And so she left the room without turning around again, but she still felt this woman's eyes on her.

It felt weird being alone in his office, and even weirder being alone in the bedroom next to it. But after a moment's hesitation, she took a shirt and comfortable pants to sleep in and laid the clothes on the bed.

He hadn't said anything about taking a shower, but she assumed he wouldn't mind. So she took a quick hot shower, then put on his clothes and lay down in his bed.

And thanks to the soft and cozy mattress and blanket, she fell asleep just a few minutes later.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

At the same time, Javier was still standing in the hall, annoyed, having conversations with business partners. And he drank one glass of whiskey after another.

But even worse, Miranda was right here in his hotel. And yeah, he lied to Natalia - which probably was a really bad idea - but the divorce will soon be done. There was nothing left between Javier and Miranda except hate. So he decided that this little white lie wouldn't hurt.

Miranda's the devil herself. And that's exactly why he didn't want Natalia to be here tonight. But right now, Javier had a hard time concentrating because he knew Natalia was sleeping upstairs in his bed. And all he wanted was to lie down next to her.