The 'Indecent' Proposal

Monami was having a busy morning. She had to make some lists, make some calls, coordinate with Sid for some work, have breakfast - hopefully with Karan - in the cafeteria, before the drills start for the day.

By now she has earned a good reputation as the best cadet of the academy. So hopefully, they will be fine if she is a few minutes late. And it's Faizi sir's class. Monami was sure she can manage him but she hoped Karan wouldn't make a surprise visit to the drill because he won't tolerate even if she is late by a few minutes.

The corridor was almost vacant as most cadets were already in cafeteria for breakfast by this time. Suddenly a strong arm pulled Monami inside the storeroom. In a fraction of second, Monami found herself pushed against a wall, Karan's hand on her mouth and other one grabbing her arm so that she can't attack him.

"Have you lost it Karan? Koi Dekhega To? What are you doing?" Monami frowned and checked her surroundings.

"Really ? And what are you doing? Kal shaam ke baad se mili nahi ho. Koi call bhi nahi kiya. Tumhe pata hai na ab Mujhe nahi achcha lagta itni der tak tumse door rehna", Karan said.

Monami blushed on hearing that. "Special Agent Shergil, aap to Special Boyfriend Shergil bante jaa rahe ho." She teased him. Then straightened her face "Wo wo , main busy thi. Kuch kaam tha Sid se. Ab bhi hai. Mujhe jaana hai. Baad mein milein?

" Kyun? Kahan jaana hai? Ye Sid aur tumhaari kya planning chal rahi hai?" Karan crossed his arms and asked Monami

Monami acted surprised. "Planning .. nahi nahi hum kya planning karenge. Aur ab to tum..ab to tum hamari team mein ho na , to agar kuch planning karenge to tumhare saath hi karenge."

Karan pretended to agree. "Haan wo to hai"
Then he came close to Monami and inhaled loudly "par tumse na kuch khurafati ki smell aa rahi hai"

Monami nodded her head. "khurafati... main ... aur wo bhi tumhaare saamne... nahi nahi... itni meri himmat kahan"... "acchha I am getting late, bye" ... Monami took a few steps towards the door.

But Karan grabbed her from her waist and pulled her back - Monami's back now touching his chest and his arm wrapped around her waist. He put his head on Monami's shoulder from behind, whispering into her ear. "Good, kyonki maine pakad liya to saza milegi".

"Tumhare ye boyfriend mode mein trainer mode kyon mix Ho jaata hai. Kuch achcha hi kar rahe hain." Monami made an annoyed face and whined like a kid.

Karan turned Monami around, holding her cheeks again. "Monami, I trust you. Main sirf isiliye pooch raha tha because I hope tum mere birthday ke liye kuch bada plan na kar rahe ho"

"Tumhara birthday? Oh haan tumhara birthday bhi to isi month hai... main to bhool hi gayi thi" Monami acted again and stepped away from Karan to hide her face, which she was sure Karan would be able to read. That's exactly what Sid and her had been planning for. A surprise birthday party for Karan in the academy, with invites to some people Karan had helped. And they were planning to make calls today. But now how would she hide it from Karan? Monami was worried about her plans.

"It's good if you forgot because main iss saal apna birthday sirf tumhare saath bitana chahta hoon." Karan said seriously.

Monami blushed hard and walked back towards Karan. She wrapped her arms around Karan's neck and said "Actually ye plan to mere har plan se better hai. In fact, perfect hai. And iss outstanding planning ke baad aapko best boyfriend award milta hai" , she stepped back, clapped and giggled.

Karan cleared his throat and looked at Monami. He was about to say something but decided to hold back.

"What happened, Agent Shergil? Kuch aur kehna chahte ho?" Monami looked into Karan's eyes, trying to read them.

Karan held Monami's hands. "Monami man mein ek baat aa rahi hai kuch dino se. Tumhe kehna chahta hoon but promise me you won't misunderstand me. It's just a thought and If even 1% you are not comfortable with it, I will never bring it up again. It's both our decision and it's completely ok if you don't agree or want it. Bas mujhe galat mat samajhna"

Monami held Karan's hands tight. "Karan, kya hua. Itna explain kyu kar rahe ho. It's us. We can talk about anything. And tumhare mann mein koi baat hai to main definitely sunna chahti hoon."

Karan took a deep breath, and said "Monami, wo bhabhi and baby Delhi gaye hain na. To ghar khali hai. Main soch raha tha....".karan paused and gulped.

He held Monami's cheeks "Main soch raha tha ki kya hum done wahan chalke .. kuch time... I mean kuch special time spend kar sakte hain"

"Of course Karan. That's a great idea. Actually Tum mujhe keys de do, I will plan something special for just the two of us." Monami sounded excited.

"Monami , stop. I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. " Karan sounded worried and put his forehead to hers. "Monami, I am not just talking about Romantic dance and dinner. I am talking about more... something special that's we can start as a couple... I mean, I mean.... " Karan stepped back and looked directly in Monami's eyes. "Let's take the relationship to the next level. I know we can't marry formally till the course gets over but we can still be together. I.. I mean if it's okay with you, Let's... let's cross a line together."

Monami's mouth was open as she tried to process what Karan said. She was shocked and looked serious. Karan realised he had already crossed a line with this proposal... this 'indecent' proposal. And it scared him to bits.

_________To be continued ___________