Chapter 1: The Shattered Mask

"Charizard is unable to battle!"

"As such, the winner is competitor Ash!"

The announcer's words rang through Allister's head as he watched the final battle of the world coronation series finally conclude. Ash pulled through and defeated the undefeated Champion of Galar. Who would have thought?

"It's over!"

"A new champion is born today!"

"Hailing from Pallet Town in Kanto, Competitor Ash!"

The masked gym leader smiled underneath his cold mask. It was rare for him to be smiling, but how could he not? He helped Ash's Gengar achieve its Gigantamax form. Seeing the shadow Pokémon deal the first blow against Leon's team ignited some pride within himself. It was a foreign feeling.

Allister contemplated for a moment but then switched off his Rotom Phone. The boy leaned off the wall and began walking through the empty halls of his gym. It wasn't spectacular or grand like most other gyms of Galar, but it was home to him. The young gym leader would eventually step outside to see the bright sun shining down.

"It's nice outside." He said to himself before looking at the other distant Gym of Stow-on-Side.

The boy who can see spirits continued to look onward. He suddenly had an impulsive idea inspired by the boy who claimed the world championship moments ago.

"I wonder how Bea is doing." He muttered to himself as he took his phone and began dialing.

***

"Woah, that was incredible!" Korrina exclaimed with her arms stretched out in excitement.

"It truly was." Bea agreed with her fist in the air. "He has truly surpassed the king of Galar."

Before she could say anything else, she heard her phone go off. She reached for the right pocket of her skirt and saw that her friend Allister was calling her. Her eyebrows went up in surprise because it wasn't normal for him to initiate a phone call, so she was also a bit curious.

"Who is it?" Korrina asked, squishing her face against Bea.

Bea blinked and created distance between them. She didn't mind the proximity, but sometimes it was unexpected.

"Korrina, we talked about personal space, remember?"

"Oh yeah, sorry." Korrina apologized as she chuckled slightly.

Bea couldn't help but laugh as well. "It's alright, but I'll be in the back room." She said, pointing to the door behind them. Korrina gave her a nod as Bea walked toward the doorway.

With her now alone, she answered the call.

"Allister?" She said softly.

"H-Hey Bea?"

"Yeah?"

"Could you help me with something?"

"Sure, what do you need?" She replied.

"It might be best if I asked you in person. Do you mind?" He asked quietly.

Bea pondered for a moment, and she finally answered. "Of course not; I'll be on my way."

When Bea came back to the room, she was greeted by Korrina, who had a popsicle in her mouth.

"I'm going to leave to see Allister," Bea said as she grabbed her satchel and hung it around her shoulder.

Korrina gave her a thumbs up before taking out another wrapped popsicle seemingly out of nowhere. "Would you like one before you go?"

Before Bea could turn the doorknob, she smiled at her fellow gym leader.