Science fiction : Birds in 2075

Hazy, and gilded in the hue of shimmering steel that is bright but at the same time translucent. This is the air and visibility in 2075.

In 2075 one can be selective only in a few proceedings of life, whereas most of them have acquired a definite form that is like the laws of the Universe, never bending and never changing. And you are offered only one choice, take it or just place it in the already yoked fate of yours! Because nature has assumed the role of a tyrannical apostle who has forgotten the ways of the Universe that once favoured and fostered the human race. An infliction self begotten by humans due to their negligence and triviality, when it came to the utilisation of natural resources.

Humans mostly degraded and ravaged nature's every asset, leading to its destabilisation and complete ruin. As a result, it has turned barren and discriminatory towards every human endeavour in 2075.

However, it has not given up on life all together, because in this ruinous state as well, it has supported the evolution of birds. And in 2075, there are new species of birds that dominate the skies and the land as well. The surviving men and women in 2075 call them "Aerial Invaders!"

It was in early 2070 when air quality deteriorated further and trees in some areas adapted to these changes. Whereas many plant and tree species were slow to evolve and went extinct. As a result air quality was declared noxious in certain areas, because the trees in these areas had re-engineered their energy generation mechanism. They consumed less CO2, because there was less rainfall, and in some areas where there was rainfall it contained toxins. So, they evolved a way to consume less CO2 and yet generate sufficient energy, leading to less Oxygen release.

In these areas, where trees are still evolving to adapt to the changing climate and weather patterns, CO2 concentration is increasing because trees are generating less Oxygen and consuming less CO2.

And in these areas, the population of birds that depended on these trees for their shelter and food have evolved too. Because now these trees produce seeds with a new compound that is laced with toxins. Simply because they are conserving energy and produce very less seeds, and to ensure the survival and germination of these seeds they have infused these seeds with compounds which are highly toxic and any animal or bird that consumes them, would certainly be sealing its own fate.

It is the same with their leaves as well. It is as if trees have developed a self communication network that ensures their survival by allowing them to learn new strategies to cope with this extremely vicious environment. Few trees have become shorter and stouter, whereas many trees have gained height but their diameter of the main trunk has reduced. And the quality of the wood is very different.

The trees that are shorter and stouter have strong and durable wood, whereas trees that tend to gain height are fragile and the wood is less fibrous. It is as if they are learning to gain height and re-adjust their mitochondrial mechanisms to generate energy and then transfer its benefits to the overall growth of the tree.

As of today, they appear to be relying mostly on a single vein that acts as Xylem and Phloem as well. It is just that they have developed a new function that helps them to regulate alternating the upward and downward movement of fluids. Unlike in earlier generations of trees, where Xylem and Phylum were separate channels, because the trees could afford investing so much energy to sustain two mechanisms with two separate channels. But in the present scenario, they have learned to bypass this need by using a single channel, simply by introducing a trigger point that works like a valve, which facilitates the upward and downward movements of fluids. Almost like the neck of the giraffe, which has a similar valve, to maintain blood pressure levels in the giraffe, especially when it lowers its head to drink water and then lifts it up when it has had its fill. Shooting blood to such a height ( upright head ) all of a sudden would result in immediate pressure failure in giraffes without this valve. But nature has offered giraffes a gift of evolution, that enables them to overcome this handicap easily, while maintaining its pressure.