47.

For four entire days, Stiles remained unconscious. It had worried the pack at first but Melissa had reassured them that it was completely normal. From what she had seen, Stiles had gone through a lot just before travelling back to his right timeline and the travel had only added to his exhaustion. 

The brunette needed to rest desperately. Melissa also told them that it was better this way as he still needed to heal from his injuries and the less he moved around, the better. However, the woman had been scared that he'd die from hunger and so, she stole an IV as well as a nasogastric tube from the hospital with the help of Scott and brought it back to the loft. 

Melissa was a bit nervous as she had never done that outside of the hospital and was scared to make a mistake but with a few encouraging words from her son, she did it. Stiles remained unconscious for three more days before he finally opened his eyes again. The entire time Stiles had been sleeping, the pack kept visiting him to check on his condition, constantly asking Melissa if he was going to be alright soon. 

Derek was the one who stayed by his side the longest. Since Stiles had been put to rest in his bedroom, the alpha would sleep next to his human again every night. It was difficult at first. It brought a lot of memories for the wolf, especially the first time he woke up next to him again. Derek had stared at the brunette for a long time that morning. 

It was as if he couldn't believe it. 

Derek knew that this was the same Stiles he had known for the past few years but at the same time, he knew he had changed. It wasn't exactly the same Stiles. This was the one he remembered from his past. The one he had loved so much. He hadn't been able to stop himself from reaching up and brushing the tip of his fingers over the scars on his face. It had been so long since he had seen them. 

It brought back memories of his family. Unwanted memories of his family. But at the same time, it reminded him of the best moments of his entire life. The ones he cherished so much. And sometimes it brought a smile on his face without him noticing. It hit him like a brick the first moment he realised that he could feel the mate bond between them again. 

He hadn't been able to feel it for years as Stiles didn't have the mating bite mark before travelling to the past. But now that he was back, so was their bond. And Derek had never felt so much happiness before. The familiar tug at the back of his mind felt like a blessing. He often would close his eyes, reaching out to it and feeling it thrumming in happiness. 

It would never fail to litter his skin in goosebumps. 

Derek had felt like a teenager again. He felt giddy and happy. He wanted to hold his human in his arms again and never ever let go of him. He wanted to love him again just like they used to. He wanted to create memories, he wanted to play around, to tease and laugh and smile and kiss him everywhere just because he knew it would bring that special smile he adored to see on Stiles'  face. 

He wanted all those things again. 

But he couldn't have them. 

At least, not right now. 

Because he knew Stiles would remember the way he had treated him all these years. He would remember how bad he had talked to him, how mean he had acted and how much distance he had put between them. And the wolf knew that Stiles wouldn't forgive him for it. 

That was the reason why when he heard Stiles was awake, Derek stopped visiting him. He stopped sleeping next to him and admiring him. Instead, he listened to the results of the many check ups Melissa would do and give the pack. He would listen to what his pack would say after visiting the brunette and how they were worried about him because Stiles barely spoke to them. He would listen as they said that the brunette looked to be in depression and they didn't know what to do to make him feel better.