Regret

My heart was pounding as I faced my new foe. The knife in his hand glinted in the moonlight from where he stood. His eyes were glazed over as if something was controlling him, his blond hair was streaked with dirt, and small bits of blood dripped from his arms. Out of nowhere he ran towards me, knife out. I dodged the strike and heard the knife imbed itself in the tree I had been resting against. I turned around and kicked the man in the back of his knees. He, in turn, whipped around and swung a fist at me that I avoided. We fought skin on skin for a good while before I ended up backed up against a tree, his newly formed fangs shining a bright white inches from my face. I thought that was going to be the end of me but I felt something poking at my back. I slowly reached a hand to it and found that it was the knife. Frightened, I wrapped my bloody fingers around the shaft of the knife and wiggled it up and down to loosen it. My foe hadn't noticed any of these movements but was instead staring me straight in the eye and drooling. Heart racing, eyes closed, I yanked the knife out of the tree and drove it into his heart and back out again in one quick, fluid motion. I dropped the blood covered knife just as he was falling to the ground. I, then, collapsed on top of my best friend and started crying, his blood seeping through my shirt and jeans.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered between sobs.