Chapter One - Belle

"Anna, please take this to table three. My shift's over." Belinda said to Anna, as she was already taking off her smock.

It was only a formality. She wasn't expecting Anna to say no, and she didn't. "Sure. Have a pleasant evening," Anna said with a polite smile.

Anna fastened her apron and transported a tray laden with baked goods and coffee to the table through the room's subdued lighting. Anna's footsteps barely sounded on the cafe's creaky wooden floor. She moved with the grace of a shadow, her presence almost unnoticeable among the lively chatter. She greeted the faces she recognised but didn't know.

"Thanks, Alison." The woman said without looking up. They then went on with their conversation.

Anna didn't bother to correct the woman; she wouldn't remember, anyway.

It's time to clock out and go home. Anna grabbed her things from the backroom and bid goodnight to the staff.

A subtle sigh escaped Anna's lips as she watched her coworkers laugh and share stories. They were talking about an outing they had been on the previous weekend and barely acknowledged her.

As Anna stepped out of the backroom, the familiar hum of espresso machines and the gentle murmur of customers filled her ears. Inside the cafe, a muted glow fills the space, setting a cosy and inviting mood.

The soft sound of raindrops on the windows caught her attention. She had forgotten her umbrella.

The misty drizzle lightly kissed her cheeks as she ventured outside with a soft sigh. Amid the misty drizzle, she rushed to make her way back home.

***

Anna climbed the narrow staircase to her modest flat, each step creaking softly under her weight. Her ears perked up as she reached the landing. The sound of her neighbours' lively chatter echoed through the corridor. They clustered together, sharing stories of their day, and the warmth of their interactions hung in the air like a comforting embrace.

Silent as a whisper, Anna walked past them, a spectral presence amid the laughter and camaraderie. They didn't notice her, lost in gossip and shared moments. It was a familiar scene, one she had observed countless times. They were friendly, but their conversations didn't delve beyond the surface, and small talk reigned supreme.

Today, Anna didn't have the energy for pleasantries. She walked past her neighbours with a tired smile, her gaze meeting theirs, but her thoughts were elsewhere. She opened her door to the lingering scent of takeout containers and the deafening hum of her appliances.

Is this my destiny? Filled with uncertainty, her mind's whispers dared her to push past her reticence. Her repetitive daily routine suffocated her. Each morning, she awoke to the relentless blaring of her monotonous alarm clock. Only the sun's hesitant rays reached out to greet her.

The daily grind played like a melancholic tune in her mind, its familiarity and structure intensifying her sense of isolation.

A monotonous routine became her anchor, tying her to a life she didn't want to live. Every dawn, she would rise like the sun's hesitant rays, brewing her morning coffee. Her footsteps led her to work, a monotonous journey.

Anna yearned for a more creative and meaningful existence, her heart heavy with the desire for depth and purpose—time to write.

Sitting at her cluttered desk, she confronted a blank screen that seemed to mock her with its relentless blinking cursor.

Anna's ongoing dedication left her fingers nearly bleeding. Each word she wrote carried a piece of her soul. She worked tirelessly, seeking perfection. Writing allowed her to express her deepest aspirations.