𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚘𝚛𝚜 - 𝙿𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝙾𝚗𝚎

The aromas of different dishes mix up together, making an appetizing smell. Pots and pans simmer over the stove, sizzling slightly. The ovens are making constant noise as they are opened and closed continuously. The waiters come and go, bellowing orders at the top of their lungs as the chefs shout back loudly. The rattle of the door and clinking of the utensils echo across the whole room. Dirty plates and leftover food piles up on the separate counters, filthy and stained.

The sausages smoke red as I remove them off of the stove and put them in between the heated buns. After some sliced tomatoes, onion rings, lettuce and sauces, I sprinkled some black sesame seeds and handed over the order to a waiter as I went to check on the Hot and Sour Soup. I added a bit of spices into it and took the freshly baked pastries out to cool down, before placing in another tray. I was just heading over to check some progress as my long white coat billowed behind me when Darin came in my way, with a smirk plastered onto his face.

"Hey, would you-"
Darin practically lunged at me and grabbed my arm before he jerked it towards him and pulled me out of the bustling crowd. I put on a frown and my eyebrows scrunched up together as I looked at him for an explanation.

"You, Atlas, are not  working today, got that?" I rolled my eyes and let out a 'huff'.

"Yes, I am. I'll be gone for 2 whole weeks, man. Let me do as much work as I can."
"Yeah, you will, Mr. Groom."
"Ugh. Stop it."
"Stop what?"
"What you're doing."
"What am I doing?"
Frustrated, I inwardly groan at his quirky remarks. The thing is, I decided that Darin and Brad would be good enough to help both the restaurants function nicely for two weeks. Along with Theo and Josh(who'll be staying over at Theo and Brad's), I reckon they'll be able to manage, although I feel kind of ashamed for letting my burden fall on their shoulders. That's why I wanna work today, to atone a little for the days I'm going to miss.

"Why don't you wanna let me help?"
"Because you have something much more important to do."
And with a huge grin, he pushes me through the back door and takes me out to the alleyway in the back, leading me to a familiar car. Too familiar.

The same, arrogant, posh guy I know as one of my amazing friends steps out.

Jimmy, of all people.

Soon after the opening of my new restaurant, Jimmy moved all the way to Chicago. He would occasionally pop by, as if taking a two hour flight to play catch-up with his friends wasn't anything big at all. His visits came to a halt for quite some time, though, when Jimmy's wife fell extremely ill. After that, his wife's health deteriorated, and although she's much better now, Jimmy still has to be there for her. That's why he wasn't even able to attend my wedding. He said something about 'in-laws and hospitalization'. He was my best man, even if his photos with us included him making silly faces on the video call. 

And here he is now.

I pinch myself, but all I get is a stabbing pain. Jimmy's still walking towards me with a slight smile. And then all of a sudden, Brad and Darin are jeering as we all come together into a tight hug. I feel someone ruffle my hair and I kick Darin at his foot.

"Ow! What was that for?!"
"For not telling me he was going to come today."
"Well, we decided to host a Bachelor's Party for us all and you would have absolutely ruined it with your constant pestering."
"But aren't Bachelor Parties supposed to be held before a wedding?"
"You don't wanna celebrate with your best man, then?" Jimmy says, now grinning like a Cheshire Cat. 

"You bet." I say. 

Now it's my turn to grin like an idiot.

A/N: Okay so this chapter will be divided into 2 sections( both in Atlas' POV). I'll also update the second one today. I kinda wrote this to show Atlas' relationship with his friends. We get to see a lot of Allyssa, and although It Starts With Us gave us some insight, much of Atlas' interactions with them like in poker night were just not there anymore. Also the fact that at the end of It Ends With Us, we got introduced to an Alyssa kinda character - Jimmy, who only worked 'cause he was bored. Colleen Hoover might have thought it too similar, so she didn't mention him, and I really wanted his guy to show up again, so here I am! Don't forget to upvote this story if you like it and  please do comment because I need our thoughts. RL's being a pain as always, what with my exams and so much going on, but I hope to somehow form a schedule. IF I do, I'll let you know through the Author's Note or Conversation thingy. Sorry for the long note, I just felt I had a lot to say. Thanks for listening to me blabber nonsense <3