Chapter 18

I found a quiet room off to the side and plonked myself and the stack of books down on the furthest table. I took a deep breath before diving into the first book. Hours passed by and although I learned some pretty interesting facts about the history of our realm and all the infamous scandals between high borns over the decades, I didn't discover any groundbreaking information that was of any use to me. There was a few pointers on how to teach magic wielding but nothing Yetta hadn't already tried. I sighed peering down at the book about heartbonds. I pulled it from the bottom of the pile, my fingers grazing over the engraving on the smooth hardcover.  What did this author know about heartbonds? Did she do extensive research? Did she have one herself? I jumper when the door opened with a creek. Afred shuffled inside another stack of books in hand like he somehow knew I still hadn't found the answers I was looking for.

"These might be more of use" he offered me the books. I noted the way his brows knit together when he looked down at the books, almost as if he was reluctant in giving me them. I tilted my head to see the titles but there was no words on the spines, there was just symbols, intricate designs I've never seen before.

"Thank you." I said as Alfred began collecting the books I was done with. "Not that one" I took the heartbond book "I haven't read that yet."

Alfred turned to leave, pausing in the doorway he said over his shoulder. "Read with caution. Those books are not to be read by just anybody." And before I could question what he meant he shuffled out the room leaving me alone with the strange books.

I opened the first one a navy book with gold foiling of a symbol. A circle with a crescent moon and a star overlapping and read

'Chapter 1: ancient lands and language.'
Chapter 2: the six gods of the fae
Chapter 3: the great divide
Chapter 4: forbidden Runes of ancient times

Forbidden runes of ancient times. That chapter caught her my eye. Runes were used throughout both the light and dark realms, they held no real power. They were used as gestures to things fae prayed to the gods for. Farmers would carve a symbol of a triangle with two straight lines going through it into the ground and pray to the gods to bring them a successful harvest season. There's one females use as jewellery that symbolises that they're single and looking for a mate and a similar one that shows they are married. There's one that fae would have on their door mats that wards off negative energy from entering their homes. I always thought of runes just as something the fae used to honour the gods.

I flicked to chapter 4. The whole chapter was written in nothing but symbols I didn't recognise. An ancient language perhaps? All of the book was written in my language except for chapter 4. I sighed and turned to chapter 1 ancient lands and language.

'The first known language of the fae began with the first peoples known as the fae of vallah. Little is known about these fae as most sources have been wiped from existence through many decades of war that broke out between the fae when the two realms of light and dark were created by the gods. Many historians believe that these fae were the ones that spoke the first language and were closer to the gods than anyone. It is believed the gods themselves gave the runes to the people as a way to communicate with them and bring them god fortune. When the gods Hemeria and Erebus's magic forged the light and dark realms, many sort to distance themselves from the old ways, runes became a thing of the past, only used now as a way to honour the gods and a new language formed and thus the ancient language of the vallah people cease to exist.'

I paused. I don't recall ever learning about the vallah people through my years of education. If anyone knew about these people it would be Yetta and she hasn't mentioned them. I flicked back to chapter 4 squinting at words I couldn't understand. Could this be the language of the vallah people? Surely not. I squinted at another book on the pile next to me. I grabbed another with the same symbol on and opened to the first page. It simply read 'vallahkah' every page was symbols and words I couldn't read. I sighed and rubbed my eyes feeling defeated.

"Giving up so soon" Alfred's wavering voice almost made me jump out of my skin.

"Holy shit" I placed a hand to my chest as though stopping my heart from flying out of it. I didn't even hear the door open.

"Now I won't tolerate that language in my library, you and your brother gave me enough of it growing up" Alfred scolded and I actually retreated back into my seat like a child. I smiled apologetically. Alfred set a hot cup of coco down on the table. His shaking hands almost spilling it.

"You've been here a while, I thought you'd need a drink." He slowly turned to leave.

"Alfred." I stopped him. "Do you know anything about the vallah people?" I asked.

Alfred peering down at me over his glasses. A curious look upon his aging face. He seemed to contemplate my question before he took the seat opposite me.

"What have you discovered?" He asked pointing to the books laid out in front of me.

"That the people before the fae where the vallah people and they spoke an ancient language that doesn't exist anymore. I think the language is vallahkah." I said.

"And?" He asked expecting more.

"And that's it." I said looking between him and the books.

Alfred shook his head. "The book says the language doesn't exist anymore, it doesn't say there isn't anyone who can read it."

"You know someone who can?" I asked.

"No. But I believe you do." He answered.

"Who?" I looked at him confused as I racked my brain for someone I know who could possibly read an ancient forgotten language.

"Think." He added.

"I don't know anyone who would know anything like that, the smartest people I know are Yetta and you-"

Alfred nodded displeasingly.

"Then who?" I asked frustratedly.

"Think. Who or what is older than any fae in the realm? Who has lived through many wars? Who could have been here during the reign of the gods? Who hasn't been tainted by the fae and changed over generations? Who Is old enough to remember?" Alfred tapped his head.

Like a lightbulb went off in my head I straightened. "The willow wyms."

"Ah ha! I knew there was a brain in there somewhere." He perked up pointing to the ceiling.

"What about runes? They're just symbols right?"

"Wrong." He said.

"If they're not just symbols what are they? Do they possess any power?" I asked.

"That is a question best left for the willow wyms. I myself would be curious to hear what they had to say about that." Alfred stood from the table. "I think you better be on your way. Here" he handed me the books with the symbols. Keep these safe. Don't let anything happen to them and for the gods sake don't let them fall into the wrong hands."

I took the stack of books and stood from the table.

"Wait! You better take this one too." Then handed me the heartbonds by Cecily. I smiled at him and for the first time in my life I could see the man behind the tough exterior and the bushy grey beard. The man whose passion was to teach others and share his knowledge with the world through his love of books. For the first time I appreciated him and regretted misbehaving all those years growing up.

"Thank you Alfred, for everything."
Alfred offered a rare smile back.