| C H A P T E R - 12 |

ANASTASIA:

"Lara frowned in surprise, leaning forward in our favourite corner of the college cafeteria. Her curiosity was evident as she spoke, "She mentioned Oliver, Blakley, and Mia's names?"

I hushed her, signalling to keep our conversation discreet. "We can't let people know just yet!"

Lara joined me a few minutes ago while I was engrossed in the notes about the cases I'd been working on. I noticed the strange shades of pink on her cheeks as she walked in, but the workload didn't allow me to dwell on it.

Our friendship had grown strong enough for me to trust her with the cases. I nodded, my heart heavy with what we had discovered in Miley's journal. "Yes, she did. Miley was brave to put her thoughts on paper," I sighed. "but sadly we couldn't save her."

A pang of concern for Miley hit me. Where could she be? Was she safe? Was she even alive?

Lara's puzzled expression mirrored the unspoken question in the air. "Then why hasn't David arrested them?"

I shrugged, acknowledging the slow wheels of justice. "David's still working on the case. However, the notes we found in Miley's sister's room need to be verified to confirm if they are indeed hers. Moreover, considering Oliver's advantage and Russo's likely assistance, we must exercise patience. We can't act hastily until we have more concrete evidence," I explained. "I imagine David is meticulously piecing together all the evidence to ensure a solid case against them."

"He better hurry with that," Lara replied, anger evident on her face. Though we had become good friends, there were still parts of her I wasn't aware of, and maybe someday she would think I was worthy enough to share. "I can't wait for the day when Oliver will be dragged behind bars."

I agreed, sensing her personal grudge against him.

The clock showed it was quarter past one, almost done with the first half of our classes. As we sat with our notebooks, deciphering any minute details that could help us, I remembered another enigma that tugged at my heart.

"By the way, do you know anything about Aurora and Jackson?" I asked Lara, unease creeping into my voice. Who were they, and why did Miley write about them? Were they victims of Oliver's bullying in the past? If so, where are they now? Are they really dead, or somehow alive? Maybe finding them could lead us somewhere.

Her brow furrowed, memory seeking out information. "Aurora, Jackson? Not much, but I've heard their names mentioned in some old records. Although I have no idea who Jackson is, Aurora passed away in a tragic accident, right?"

I shrugged, my urgency growing in the web of mysteries connecting Miley, Olivia, and Aurora. "Yes, that's what I've heard too. But the strange thing is, that Miley's journal mentions Aurora and Jackson being victims of Oliver. Preston wasn't their first," I said. "So maybe if we could find anything about them, we might discover a deeper connection we're missing."

Understanding dawned on Lara's face. "I see your point."

My determination remained unwavering. "Exactly. And Lara, I think we need more information about Miley, Olivia, Jackson, and Aurora to help David in this case."

Lara leaned back thoughtfully, gazing at me, and her words offered a glimmer of hope. "Well, you're in luck, Ana. I think maybe I know someone who can help us."

****

After my last class for the day, I again found myself seated with Lara and Nandini in a nearby park. Nandini, one of Miley's fellow batchmates, had graciously agreed to assist us. She was a vision of beauty, with her sun-kissed skin, captivating cat-like eyes, a radiant smile, and hair that flowed like a dark waterfall. Sometimes, I couldn't help but admire the striking beauty of Indians.