Prologue

It was not the gown I had dreamed of wearing on my wedding day. It was not the place I had decided to be wedded. And it was not the man I wanted to marry. I breathed sharply as my steps moved toward the altar slowly. I was nervous. Hell, I'm nervous! I was betraying my family, these people, and more especially the man who was standing tall and handsome at the altar. I couldn't do that, I was helpless. I had promised my little sister that I would save her life. I had to fulfill the responsibility of elder sister. She was vulnerable, exhausted, and scared. I couldn't let her die. I just couldn't do that.

I had to marry him.

I had married Justin Robbins.

Justin Robbins. He was the man I fell in love with at first sight. He was the man of my dreams. I used to dream about marrying him but it was shattered when he proposed to my little sister instead of me. It broke me completely. Then I made up my mind that I would never come between the two of them. I knew he would never love me. He couldn't and would never fall in love with me.

I gripped the fabric of my gown when my father handed me my future husband. I could see how attractive he was looking in a dark suit and slicked hair. His jaw was sharp, his eyes glorious and his lips were raw. His expression was hard but I could see a hint of softness when he held my hand.

God, he thought I was Isabella, my little sister.

The priest started his prayer and I was still covering my face with a veil. I was betraying him and my instincts told me to run away. I couldn't do that but I had to do it. God help me. What if he tried to kill me? I squeezed my eyes and waited for this nightmare to be over. Harley, stop this marriage. I said to myself. I glanced at my mom and dad who were looking so delighted. How could I break their hearts? How? They would understand me if I told them what Isabella had been through. They would understand but they would hate her if they found the truth and I couldn't let this truth out. What am I going to tell them if they demand an explanation?

I rushed out a sharp breath when Justin held my hand. He felt calloused and cold. The next moment he slid a silver ring onto my finger making me shiver in fear. When it was my turn I grabbed his big hand with my trembling hand and slid the ring. The hall erupted with claps and hoots.

"Now you may kiss the bride." The priest said and the pit of my stomach fell. I felt dizzy, panicked, and nauseated.

Slowly Justin pulled the veil from my face and leaned forward to kiss me but paused when he noticed the woman under the cover.